Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/power-challenges-at-nevada-data-center-campus.20097/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Power Challenges at Nevada Data Center campus

Arthur Hanson

Nevada has the world's largest data center campus east of Reno and power consumption is becoming a key issue. The hunt for more power is on and small, modular nukes are under consideration. This is directly from a neighbor that works there. The hunt for more power is on and it looks like all alternatives are be considered. Any thoughts on the other end of lowering power consumption appreciated.

Nevada has the world's largest data center campus east of Reno and power consumption is becoming a key issue. The hunt for more power is on and small, modular nukes are under consideration. This is directly from a neighbor that works there. The hunt for more power is on and it looks like all alternatives are be considered. Any thoughts on the other end of lowering power consumption appreciated.
I have a sailing friend who works at a small nuke start-up (SMR). From what I have learned they are the future. Given the power requirements of hyper scalars and AI what other choices do we have?

We have had as I have noted here before, the US has had reliable, small nukes since 1954 when we launched the submarine Nautilus. We now have numerous nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers that have been operating for decades. Note, our sailors sleep and work with yards of these reactors. We even have had nuclear power for satellites for years. Small, modular nuclear power systems are nothing new and have been here for decades.

Last edited:
We have had as I have noted here before, the US has had reliable, small nukes since 1954 when we launched the submarine Nautilus. We now have numerous nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers that have been operating for decades. Note, our sailors sleep and work with yards of these reactors. We even have had nuclear power for satellites for years. Small, modular nuclear power systems are nothing new and have been here for decades.
True, but environmentalists in the US are not rational. For example:

The Sierra Club is "unequivocally opposed to nuclear energy". They'd rather deface tens of thousands of acres of land in undeveloped areas for solar and wind farms, and then they fight against approving any necessary transmission lines to carry the power to cities. I looked up the word "moronic" on Google, but, surprisingly, the Sierra Club didn't come up. Odd. :rolleyes:

Twelve states outlaw new nuclear plant construction. What is not clear is how the states have any legal right to regulate nuclear plants, since they are federally regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and US law always trumps state laws, if the Feds care to enforce it.

Maybe practical SMRs will change everyone's mind.

But they have never been pursued on land in the past 60 years. Even before environmental concerns began to be taken seriously. It isn’t the sierra club’s fault that small nuclear reactors haven’t been built.

Back