[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Eda industries

This is Vijay C

I work as APPLICATION ENGINEER

My question is can EDA Industries survive for longer period.

I think chips will need to be designed for a very long time so EDA tools will survive together with it for a long time. If the current business models can be maintained is a big question mark. Companies like Synopsys are already evolving more to providing IP than tools. Another trend is to provide the EDA tools for free and selling manufactured products like the FPGA companies are doing.
When economics will put a halt on the scaling of the transistors this will cause big ripples in the whole microelectronics industry, EDA included. Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict how the microelectronics world will look after this revolution. Maybe some other people can give their vision ?

greets,
Staf.

I do not think that is the right question to ask. The question is what will we do without EDA tool which is nothing. So yes in some for or another there will be EDA tools. My vision is open source tools that are freely distributed for the greater good! Evolution revolution!

As it stands: probably not. Designing around the RTL level is no longer very productive, design specification needs to move up a level to an asnychronous FSM methodology, and that methodology is the same as what you need for (extremely) parallel software. So I expect that a large chunk of the EDA business will be replaced by simpler software methodologies - particularly in the FPGA area. I also think the hard IP business might move to the foundries as part of final design stitching and verification - this might be as part of a move to cloud computing. I.e. the foundries will find it more cost effective to manage the backend of the design process themselves than relying on the EDA companies, for much the same reason the FPGA companies give away EDA tools.

http://parallel.cc

Back