[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. X

Chinese server CPU beats Microsoft, Google and AWS rivals to grab performance crown

It’s also impressive using 1970s benchmark standards to compare modern processors ;-)
  2. X

Where is all the power going to come from for AI/ML

I almost wrote "this is certainly going to get blueone's attention", so I wasn't disappointed :). The difference between the Megachargers (so far) and the Tesla supercharger network is that they're selling the Megachargers to the companies using the trucks, so Pepsi, and now Walmart are...
  3. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

4.4 GHz, if true, is interesting. M3 is 4.05 GHz..
  4. X

FWIW, About a year old but Engineering Explained has a couple of good videos (2 Parts) getting into the Tesla Semi: First video checks the math on the truck itself - weight, range, battery size needed, efficiency, and energy costs. Wholesale price for energy was 9.43 cents in his math...
  5. X

New Disruptive Microchip Technology and The Secret Plan of Intel by Anastasi in Tech

‘Glass half full’ - while it’s not good at all that Anastasia is getting so many things wrong, channels like hers do get people interested in tech, and may even help bend someone towards a new interest in engineering or semiconductors as they enter high school or college.. (That said - Ian is...
  6. X

A 300 MPH street car and tech getting out of hand?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare A fun read, the culmination being in 1972. You’re right but it’s funny how much goal posts move over time: In late 1971, well prior to the Evan Green article being published in Sydney in mid 1972, a magazine had shown a Ford Falcon GTHO Phase...
  7. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

There was one time I upgraded an iPad (pro) for a killer feature. When Apple finally adopted USB-C with the 2018 model. I'm still using it daily and the battery life is good enough (less than new but OK). I try not to leave it plugged in at 100% all of the time since that is hard on lithium...
  8. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

Shoot. I am getting my lakes mixed up. I'll fact check myself with stuff like this before I post again. It's Lunar Lake advertising 45 for the NPU and then some kind of combined TOPS for GPU and NPU. Thanks for correcting me.
  9. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

A small hint on yields (or segmentation) - the lower 2 models of the Pro (256GB/512GB) have “9 core” CPUs — 3 perf + 6 efficiency. While the 1TB/2TB model come with the full 10 cores (4+6) of M4. The GPU and NPU are the same for both. The RAM goes from 8GB to 16GB also with this jump, but...
  10. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

On the previous M chips — I believe the M1 and M2 in the iPad Pro was the same exact chip as the one used in the (base model) MacBook Air/Pro and Mac Mini.. That’s why I was mentally comparing to PC CPUs as the new Macs coming at WWDC should use these chips too, at least for the most common...
  11. X

Apple introduces M4 chip

I assume the Mac will get M4 variants at WWDC in June - it’s interesting that iPad Pro has their highest performance processor for the moment. The 38 TOPS number is also Interesting - behind Meteor Lake and Ryzen 8000’s 40-45 TOPS, and substantially behind the 100 TOPS expected by end of year...
  12. X

TSMC dominates global foundry market with 61% market share in 4Q23, says Counterpoint

This is market share in $$ presumably rather than units. My guess is their growth was less ‘rich’ than TSMC and other foundries. TSMC has added a lot of value added packaging capacity lately, for example.
  13. X

Apple M4 chip rumors: Everything you need to know

I struggle a bit when articles try to place Qualcomm's processors in the same league with Apple Silicon of x86.. maybe it's just my age showing but I can't take that seriously yet. I suspect WWDC this year is going to focus more on next gen displays for iPad Pro, and maybe some early AI...
  14. X

TSMC statement on next-generation EUV

Thanks for clarification!
  15. X

I've been thinking about the Intel 10nm problem lately. I would like confirmation on this, but I think after seeing a recent tweet (from Fred Chen?) it goes as follows: - Intel went for 2.7x density via quad patterning (SAQP for some steps) to keep cost per area/transistor scaling downward vs...
  16. X

Is Apple still (“demand”) driving the “1 new node [of some kind] per year” from TSMC or has it actually pivoted to AI products?
  17. X

Let's revisit this thread in 2034 then, and compare what multiple of 2024 infrastructure and EV semi trucks are on the road globally. (I don't expect it to take over by then but I do think it'll be 5-10% with ramp to 50% the decade after). Of course the trucking industry is resistant to...
  18. X

Ouch. I had interpreted your earlier comment as "Tiered trucking" would be undesirable because it's cheaper and more efficient to have one tractor that can do anything (mass volumes). My reply was (trying) to point out that we already have a tiered transportation structure, and when there...
  19. X

Hmm I’ll have to re-read up on rail, but I think the US has steadily decreased it’s railway miles over the years, so many “rails to trails” projects in the Northeast.. From a trucking company site: Department of Transportation workers are likely to question any mileage that is greater than...
  20. X

Keep in mind not all trucking is long haul (more than 300 miles). The Tesla semis are extremely well suited for this use case. Also the owners can only drive for so many miles before they are required to take breaks so it's not like these are operating 24 hours continuously either. I don't...
Back