Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?search/243039/&c[users]=jorgequinonez&o=date
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. J

Intel nears $11 billion deal with Apollo for Ireland factory, WSJ reports

Apollo and Brookfield sound like cpu code-names.
  2. J

America Projected to Triple Semiconductor Manufacturing Capacity by 2032, the Largest Rate of Growth in the World

All very true about cost. However, if conflict or Cold War goes into high gear with China, having our own supply at home will be critical. The cost then will be the least of our concern.
  3. J

Huawei Pura 70 smartphone sales start; chip still a mystery

They boast skilled designers. Considering their population is over four times larger than the USA's, one would expect them to have a plethora of chip designers. However, their progress is hindered by limited access to cutting-edge lithography technology. The 2019 ban on Huawei spurred them to...
  4. J

Huawei Pura 70 smartphone sales start; chip still a mystery

According to this recent Chinese review the Kirin 9010 uses a new ultra large core with better IPC at lower power. It's a good improvement over the Kirin 9000, but still several generations behind Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon. I haven't seen any English publications make reference to the new...
  5. J

TSMC's New N4C

They could make chips for the Apple Watch, Airpods and other chips on N4C. Since you get more of those chips per wafer, the cost would be considerably be less. It doesn't have to be an A series SoC.
  6. J

Intel Will Have 1 Critical Advantage Over TSMC and Samsung in 2025

Ya. As Scotten Jones' articles discuss, Intel's are high perf. (lower density); and most customers want the higher density w/ lower power (like Apple or Mediatek). As it stands, I don't see Apple ordering from Intel in the near future unless they plan to use Intel's nodes for their desktop...
  7. J

Apple's new iPhone chip has us worried about TSMC's 3nm silicon and next-gen GPUs

Yes. Very true. Square mm size is probably down to 65-75. The N3B node was a little less than double the what the previous N4 node cost, if I remember correctly. This leaves Apple a chance to grow the total area size of their SoCs by the time they used the final N3 node (N3P, N3S, or whatever it...
  8. J

Apple's new iPhone chip has us worried about TSMC's 3nm silicon and next-gen GPUs

Ya. CPU cores are less important on mobile phones than GPU, NPU and built in codec support. That what I was kind of saying. If you a limited number of chip architecture / design staff, you probably would focus them on NPU, GPU, video/image processing, and misc accelerators rather than improving...
  9. J

Most likely that the extra GPU and increased size of the NPU are taking way more space. CPU cores are probably a lower priority.
  10. J

China could obtain EUV, far cheaper than war

Industrial espionage can probably help cut that time significantly.
  11. J

Intel Details PowerVia Chipmaking Tech: Backside Power Performing Well, On Schedule For 2024

Be skeptical: I would doubt anything Intel says, given their history of overpromising and under delivering.
  12. J

Samsung talking smack about passing TSMC.

Any ideas what kinds of fabs or process nodes Rocket Man has?
  13. J

What comes next after shrink ends?

Backside power delivery, AI remastering, pattern shaping technology, and probably several other complimentary techniques/approaches will also increase density.
  14. J

TSMC 4nm vs Samsung 4nm

Density wise Samsung's 4nm is closer to TSMC's 6nm.
  15. J

AMD getting comfortable with Samsung 4nm?

Transistor density on Samsung's 4nm is roughly equivalent to TSMC's 6nm process node.
  16. J

GAA Is Ready for Customers’ Adoption – 3nm MP in 2022, 2nm in 2025

I was reading based on density density that Samsung's 4nm (not sure if it was lpe or lpp) was barely equivalent to TSMC 6nm node. I think it was on https://fuse.wikichip.org. Using nanometer in the node name after a number is just marketing nowadays. The only thing you can ascertain is that a...
Back