[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by tooLongInEDA

1. T

U.S. ramps up chip production efforts with taxpayers footing part of the bill - Is it worth it?

OK, but what's the limit on what the subsidy should be then ? Let's keep things simple and assume govt X is subsidising a fixed percentage of company Y's leading edge (let's call it around 3nm) logic wafer fab and no ongoing handouts. What's the rough % estimate where the subsidies outweigh the...
  2. T

Apple's iPhone factory shift has left a ghost town behind in China

Now I know why you're called Barnsley ... I'm close to Royston (but the soft southern one, not the Barnsley Royston). You at least get my point. This is 50,000 direct employees. Plus their local supply chains. I think that's several times greater in local impact than anything in the UK in the...
  3. T

You've missed my point entirely. I'm not commenting on Apple's motives at all here or the geopolitics/business stuff. I am commenting on whether Apple has any sense of responsibility for leaving a vast industrial wasteland behind them and whether they are - or are not - doing anything to help...
  4. T

Interesting that a company of the immense wealth of Apple apparently feels no sense of responsibility for any of this or takes any measures to help the locals adapt to the change. I'm happy to be corrected if this perception is wrong - but nothing in the article or anything I've seen says...
  5. T

Where is all the power going to come from for AI/ML

It is astonishing just how many people are employed in countries like the US and UK simply to *prevent things being done*. Not simply to check stuff/tick boxes and "ensure safety", but all too frequently with the explicit aim of actually preventing things being done - even when they are...
  6. T

TSMC’s debacle in the American desert Missed deadlines and tension among Taiwanese and American coworkers are plaguing the chip giant’s Phoenix expans

You misunderstand somewhat. I'm not endorsing poor management and bullying here at all. Merely observing that stuff like work-life balance comes at a cost. This is all about tradeoffs. The US is of course free to make whatever choices it likes. But own the tradeoffs. And don't expect that you...
  7. T

TSMC’s debacle in the American desert Missed deadlines and tension among Taiwanese and American coworkers are plaguing the chip giant’s Phoenix expans

Totally agree. "Toxic" has become just another undefined term people throw around when they don't like something, instead of looking at the facts. The balance of rights vs responsibilities is different in different countries. But once you allow that ratio to drift too high, you're in danger of...
  8. T

TSMC's New N4C

Not convinced. Customers are far more aware of and sensitive to consumer pricing than for pharma products (where they usually don't have many alternatives or much choice).
  9. T

China Taking Taiwan, Fear Mongers Rule

And I think pretty much everything about your analysis is wrong ! 1) You can't "reunify" Taiwan and China when they were never unified. Taiwan has variously been a Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese colony. Not in a unified Chinese state. 2) The West's main problem with China is that it refuses...
  10. T

Intel first quarter 2024 earnings of

We'll find out in the next semi downturn. Current sentiment ("it's different this time ['cause AI] !") says this isn't happening. But it always does eventually (I'd give it < 5 years). Can't imagine Samsung throwing in the towel though.
  11. T

Intel first quarter 2024 earnings of

One quote sticks out for me - here's Pat: "We have rebuilt our Grovian culture" But is that actually what is required ? That may have worked well 30 or 40 years ago. But it's a far more competitive and dynamic world these days and ruling by rigid process and top-down diktat insisting...
  12. T

Not at all. He's simply arguing for not single-sourcing information. The opposite of naive. We simply can't know what biases this particular author may have. But all authors have some, however muted. And he's quite correct that we'll soon enough have a direct comparison between Intel AZ and...
  13. T

Interesting article. There's clearly a massive cultural difference between Taiwan/TSMC and the US. You do wonder if it's even possible now to run a cost effective wafer fab without the borderline authoritarian/rigidly conformist/heavily top down East Asian approach. We probably all prefer the...
  14. T

A question regards to the semiconductor value chain

Perhaps I'm being too simplistic (in working straight off percentages rather than actual values), but don't we need to normalise the Value Add (output) to the R&D and CapEx (inputs ) ? My point was that the Value Add/(R&D + CapEx) ratio was at first glance far less attractive for the...
  15. T

A question regards to the semiconductor value chain

Interesting charts. This suggests that the most profitable parts of the industry are "Design" and "Equipment and Tools". That makes some sense (US fabless companies, ASML). But it equally implies that "Front End Wafer Fab" and "Back End Assembly and Test" are absolutely the worst. Is TSMC just...
Back