[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by cheesehead

1. C

Japan's Rapidus fab to compete with TSMC, Samsung for 2nm chips

Original quote is slightly different: "Original use very little water and artificial light and rely on 100% renewable energy" I think the sentence should be rephrased as they are trying to say they use "artificial light and very little water". My assumption is this is an attempt to explain how...
  2. C

Microchip Technology Acquires Neuronix AI Labs

looks like someone is on a spending spree. They also acquired VSI last week. https://www.microchip.com/en-us/about/news-releases/corporate/microchip-acquires-adas-and-digital-cockpit-connectivity-pioneer-vsi
  3. C

When in the manufacturing process do wafer lots get divided up? (die bank or back end?)

out of curiosity: what is the reason for scrapping such high amounts of "good" material?
  4. C

TSMC’s Kumamoto factory will open in February next year

The fact German national government already starts to question their promised subsidies, I honestly doubt it is going to be a success.
  5. C

Intel wins US appeal to overturn $2.18 billion VLSI patent verdict

The title suggests Intel won, but did they actually? If I am not misunderstanding, the verdict was only reversed for one of two cases. For the second case it seems the patent infringement was confirmed and "proper award" is yet to be decided on. I guess Daniel is right by stating only the...
  6. C

TSMC cuts prices by 10% for its manufacturing process without warning. Senior executive reveals surprising secrets

Questions to the experts on this forum: is this current decline on 7nm actually surprising? My understanding is the initial users of 7nm node are likely the ones who try to be on the most advanced node at any time. These customers have moved on to newer processes now, leaving a gap on 7nm for...
  7. C

Samsung sold more ASML shares in Q3

Considering capex spending has likely reached it peak, one can expect equipment manufacturer share prices to drop. To anticipate this selling shares is investor logic (potentially even with insider knowledge). Since the author does not provide background info and/or speculate on reasoning for...
  8. C

Intel’s Big Chip-Making Push in Germany Hits Bottleneck

Please don´t get me wrong: that is not my opinion ;-) To be honest I would not want a polluting factory next to my house either, so thank god there are regulations on that. What I was trying to say is the way such rules are to be interpreted and handled in our local bureaucracy are very...
  9. C

Intel’s Big Chip-Making Push in Germany Hits Bottleneck

For me there are multiple reasons why you would not want to build in Germany currently: - German bureaucracy (building permits, environmental audits, etc.) - Electricity cost (has more than doubled in the last 7 years) - Labor Cost (incl. protective laws for workforce) Locally I sense a feeling...
  10. C

Arm updates IPO filing, estimates pricing between $47 and $51 per share

I can only agree.! If you´d ask me, I would assume Softbank is trying to cover up a bad investment through trickery. Softbank can artificially increase the share price by only releasing a small portion of the shares to the public. This will increase the value of their left-over share...
  11. C

Intel Terminates Tower Semiconductor Acquisition

Guess we are going to see some exciting announcements in IFS soon... Random thought: couldn't Intel just go ahead without Chinas approval? It is Probably an important Part of the acquisition contract. They are american though and Tower is Israeli as far as I know. Such a move would likely...
  12. C

Intel Saw A 23% Client CPU Market Share Increase In Q2 2023 While AMD Fell -5.3%

Unless overall market grew. The article contains absolute numbers and not market share. Just because Intel shipped 23% more units, does not mean they took share from AMD.
  13. C

Apple Must Go Into Medical

Healthcare is already becoming increasingly unaffordable in many regions. While I do see the technical opportunity, I am doubtful whether Apple (or any other big tech player) entering this market would help to bring down overall cost.
  14. C

U.S. Tech Sanctions Against China Are Starting to Bite Hard

When I read the title I was about to go tilt, but despite the title the author apparently is aware these numbers basically say nothing. If we take a look at the numbers Bill Jewell recently published (https://semiwiki.com/semiconductor-services/332215-has-electronics-bottomed/), one may also...
  15. C

How the world went from a semiconductor shortage to a major glut

I personally expect the industry to reduce production output soon to make up for the high inventory levels. Especially IDMs will use this for cost saving purposes. Some even expect few months of allocation in 2024 because of such measures. Has anyone already seen announcements regarding...
Back