[cat_name] => Sigasi
    [category_nicename] => sigasi
    [category_parent] => 14433
    [is_post] => 
)

A Picture is worth a 1,000 words

A Picture is worth a 1,000 words
by Daniel Payne on 12-28-2017 at 7:00 am

Semiconductor IP re-use is a huge part of the productivity gains in SoC designs, so instead of starting from a clean slate most chip engineers are re-using cells, blocks, modules and even sub-systems from previous designs in order to meet their schedule and stay competitive in the market place. But what happens when you intend to… Read More

Getting More Productive Coding with SystemVerilog

Getting More Productive Coding with SystemVerilog
by Daniel Payne on 08-31-2017 at 12:00 pm

HDL languages are a matter of engineering personal preference and often corporate policy dictates which language you should be using on your next SoC design. In the early days we used our favorite text-based editor like Vi or Emacs, my choice was Vi. The problem with these text-based editors of course is that they really don’t… Read More

Eclipsing IDEs

Eclipsing IDEs
by Bernard Murphy on 03-10-2017 at 7:00 am

In a discussion with Hilde Goosens at Sigasi, she reminded me of an important topic, relevant to the Sigasi platform. Some aspects of technology benefit from competition, others less obviously so and some absolutely require standardization. Imagine how chaotic mobile communication would be if wireless protocols weren’t standardized.… Read More

Improving on EMACS for VHDL Creation

Improving on EMACS for VHDL Creation
by Bernard Murphy on 11-16-2016 at 7:00 am

OK – I admit I titled this piece as clickbait. There is a core of designers for whom belief in the supremacy of EMACS for RTL creation comes close to religion. Some will read only the title and jump immediately to penning searing comments questioning my intelligence, experience, parenthood and ability to tie my own shoes. Some, I hope,… Read More

We Don’t Need Graphic Design. We Do Need Graphic Views

We Don’t Need Graphic Design. We Do Need Graphic Views
by Bernard Murphy on 08-29-2016 at 7:00 am

Many years ago, there were attempts to (re-) introduce a graphical entry approach to building RTL design. The Renoir product was one example. The idea has some initial appeal. You describe the behavior in a small block using (textual) RTL but the larger structure of instances and higher-level connectivity can be described as a … Read More

Dragging RTL Creation into the 21st Century

Dragging RTL Creation into the 21st Century
by Bernard Murphy on 07-29-2016 at 7:00 am

When I was at Atrenta, we always thought it would be great to do as-you-type RTL linting. It’s the natural use model for anyone used to writing text in virtually any modern application (especially on the Web, thanks to Google spell and grammar-checks). You may argue that you create your RTL in Vi or EMACS and you don’t need no stinking… Read More