[category_nicename] => arm
    [category_parent] => 178
    [is_post] => 
)

Arteris is Unleashing Innovation by Breaking Down the Memory Wall

by Mike Gianfagna on 03-14-2024 at 6:00 am

There is a lot of discussion about removing barriers to innovation these days. Semiconductor systems are at the heart of unlocking many forms of technical innovation, if only we could address issues such as the slowing of Moore’s Law, reduction of power consumption, enhancement of security and reliability and so on. But there … Read More

Arm Neoverse Continues to Claim Territory in Infrastructure

Arm Neoverse Continues to Claim Territory in Infrastructure
by Bernard Murphy on 02-21-2024 at 10:00 am

Neoverse announcement min

After owning general purpose compute in cell phones and IoT devices, it wasn’t clear what Arm’s next act might be. Seemingly the x86 giants dominated in datacenters and  auguries suggested a bloody war in smaller platforms between Arm and RISC-V. But Arm knew what they were doing all along, growing upwards into infrastructure:… Read More

Arm Total Design Hints at Accelerating Multi-Die Activity

Arm Total Design Hints at Accelerating Multi-Die Activity
by Bernard Murphy on 11-02-2023 at 6:00 am

multi die

I confess I am reading tea leaves in this blog, but why not? Arm recently announced Arm Total Design, an expansion of their Compute Subsystems (CSS) offering which made me wonder about the motivation behind this direction. They have a lot of blue-chip partners lined up for this program yet only a general pointer to multi-die systems… Read More

Arm Inches Up the Infrastructure Value Chain

Arm Inches Up the Infrastructure Value Chain
by Bernard Murphy on 08-30-2023 at 6:00 am

Arm just revealed at HotChips their compute subsystems (CSS) direction led by CSS N2. The intent behind CSS is to provide pre-integrated, optimized and validated subsystems to accelerate time to market for infrastructure system builders. Think HPC servers, wireless infrastructure, big edge systems for industry, city, enterprise… Read More

Arm 2023 Mobile Solutions Continue Gaming Focus

Arm 2023 Mobile Solutions Continue Gaming Focus
by Bernard Murphy on 06-06-2023 at 6:00 am

TCS23

Arm recently announced an update for mobile under the Arm Total Compute Solutions (TCS) label, led by Chris Bergey (Sr. VP/GM for the Client line of business). You’ll remember that Chris headed the infrastructure line of business impressively through the Neoverse brand, as demonstrated by Arm-based servers appearing in multiple… Read More

Silicon Catalyst and Arm announce $150,000 Silicon Startup Contest!

Silicon Catalyst and Arm announce $150,000 Silicon Startup Contest!
by Daniel Nenni on 05-10-2023 at 6:00 am

Silicon Catalyst Arm contest 400x400

As I sift through mounds of semiconductor press releases trying to figure out the relevance (with mixed results) I consider it a learning experience even when they don’t really tell me anything. This one however tells me two very important things:

1) Arm is a much more competitive company with the new leadership. I saw a noticeable… Read More

The Corellium Experience Moves to EDA

The Corellium Experience Moves to EDA
by Lauro Rizzatti on 10-25-2022 at 6:00 am

Corellium SemiWIki

Bill Neifert invited me to join him on Zoom recently to talk about his move to Corellium, a company known within the DevSecOps (development, security, operations) market. Developers and security groups use its virtualization technology to build, test, and secure mobile and IoT apps, firmware, and hardware.

Not knowing much … Read More

Arm 2022 Neoverse Update, Roadmap

Arm 2022 Neoverse Update, Roadmap
by Bernard Murphy on 09-27-2022 at 6:00 am

Neoverse update min

Arm recently provided their annual update on the Neoverse product line, targeting infrastructure from cloud to communication to the edge. Chris Bergey (SVP and GM for infrastructure) led the update, starting with a shock-and-awe pitch on Neoverse deployment. He played up that Arm-based servers are now in every major public … Read More

Arm Aims at Mobile Gaming

Arm Aims at Mobile Gaming
by Bernard Murphy on 07-14-2022 at 6:00 am

ARM gaming min

Clearly unfazed by the collapse of the proposed merger with Nvidia, Arm just announced products in support of, what else, mobile gaming. Nvidia turf. Of course Nvidia’s gaming strength is in tethered platforms or laptops. However, understand that 50% of video gaming revenue in 2020 came from smartphone games and that growth is… Read More

Design IP Sales Grew 19.4% in 2021, confirm 2016-2021 CAGR of 9.8%

Design IP Sales Grew 19.4% in 2021, confirm 2016-2021 CAGR of 9.8%
by Eric Esteve on 05-05-2022 at 6:00 am

Table IP 2020 2021 1

Design IP Sales reached $5.45B in 2021, or 19.4% YoY after 16% in 2020, on-sync with semiconductor growth of 26.2% in 2021 according to WSTS. IPnest has released the “Design IP Report” in May 2022, ranking IP vendors by category (CPU, DSP, GPU & ISP, Wired Interface, SRAM Memory Compiler, Flash Memory Compiler, Library and I/O,… Read More