[cat_name] => Tanner EDA
    [category_nicename] => tanner-eda
    [category_parent] => 14433
    [is_post] => 
)

Affordable EDA Tools for IoT Designs, Guess which Vendor

Affordable EDA Tools for IoT Designs, Guess which Vendor
by Daniel Payne on 09-10-2018 at 12:00 pm

I just had to drive my car 7 miles from Tualatin, Oregon to visit with an EDA veteran who has played a lot of diverse roles in his career, including: IC Mask Designer, Layout Manager, Account Manager, Business Development, Director, Foundry Relations Director. His name is John Stabenow, with Mentor, a Siemens Business, and we met… Read More

IoT Project Planning – Profiting from the Folly of Others

IoT Project Planning – Profiting from the Folly of Others
by Mitch Heins on 12-18-2017 at 12:00 pm

I recently was introduced to a white paper written by John Stabenow, Director at Mentor, a Siemens Business, that gave an excellent overview of things to consider before launching into the design of an IoT edge project. John starts the paper with a quote from Pliny the Elder (A.D.23-A.D.79) who said, “The best plan is, as the common… Read More

Arm and Mentor Use DesignStart Program to Accelerate Proof-of-Concept for IoT Designs

Arm and Mentor Use DesignStart Program to Accelerate Proof-of-Concept for IoT Designs
by Mitch Heins on 11-15-2017 at 7:00 am

Sometimes the hardest thing about bringing a new idea to fruition is overcoming the inertia to get started with a proof-of-concept. You must be able to put together enough parts of the solution to prove to those controlling budgets that an idea has merit and is worth taking to the next level. It’s a bit of a chick-vs-egg scenario as … Read More

Fusing CMOS IC and MEMS Design for IoT Edge Devices

Fusing CMOS IC and MEMS Design for IoT Edge Devices
by Mitch Heins on 09-11-2017 at 12:00 pm

In my 34 years in IC and EDA, it never ceases to amaze me as to how ingenious designers can be with what is given them. Mentor, a Siemens business, has released a wonderful white paper that is proof of this yet again. The white paper steps through how one of their customers, MEMSIC, used the Tanner tool suite to develop a combination CMOS… Read More

Overcoming the Challenges of Creating Custom SoCs for IoT

Overcoming the Challenges of Creating Custom SoCs for IoT
by Mitch Heins on 06-30-2017 at 7:00 am

As the Internet of Things (IoT) opportunities continues to expand, companies are working hard to bring System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions to market in the hopes of garnering market share and revenue. However, it’s not as easy as it may first seem. Companies are running into a series of issues that stand between them and capturing the… Read More

Lowering Costs for Custom SoC Development – ARM and Tanner EDA

Lowering Costs for Custom SoC Development – ARM and Tanner EDA
by Daniel Payne on 03-31-2017 at 12:00 pm

Cost is a major barrier when an electronic design company starts to consider developing a custom SoC for a particular market segment. But what if there was a way to lower the development cost, or even get to an SoC proof of concept for no cost except of course for your engineering expenses? That value proposition caught my attention… Read More

How to Design a Custom SoC with Analog, webinar from ARM and Tanner EDA

How to Design a Custom SoC with Analog, webinar from ARM and Tanner EDA
by Daniel Payne on 03-23-2017 at 12:00 pm

Leading edge SoC designs can contain billions of transistors, cost over $10M to design, and take over 18 months to deliver, but not all SoCs require that much complexity, cost and time. In fact, there is a growing class of SoC designs that integrate the popular ARM Cortex-M0 processor along with analog blocks that work with sensors… Read More

IoT From SEMI Meeting: EDA, Image Sensors, MEMS

IoT From SEMI Meeting: EDA, Image Sensors, MEMS
by Daniel Payne on 11-01-2016 at 12:00 pm

Last Friday I learned something new about IoT by attending a SEMI event in Wilsonville, OR just a few short miles away from where I live in Tualatin. SEMI puts on two events here in Oregon each year, and their latest event on IoT Sensors was quite timely and popular judging by how many attendees showed up. First up was Jeff Miller from … Read More

Making photonic design more straightforward

Making photonic design more straightforward
by Don Dingee on 09-27-2016 at 4:00 pm

The arrival of optical computing has been predicted every year for the last fifteen years. As with any other technology backed by prolific research, lofty goals get dialed back as problems are identified. What emerges first is a set of use cases where the technology fits with practical, realizable implementations.

When it comes… Read More

Two New Announcements from Tanner EDA at #53DAC

Two New Announcements from Tanner EDA at #53DAC
by Daniel Payne on 06-27-2016 at 12:00 pm

Most mergers and acquisitions in the EDA world simply don’t work out financially a year or two after the deal is done, however I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Tanner EDA is doing quite well at #53DAC this year after the acquisition by Mentor Graphics back in March 2015. Everyone that I’ve been meeting with at … Read More