[category_nicename] => finfet
    [category_parent] => 0
    [is_post] => 
)

WEBINAR: FinFET UltraPcell Methodology

WEBINAR: FinFET UltraPcell Methodology
by Daniel Nenni on 05-25-2023 at 6:00 am

ICMask PG Pcells JUNE Webinar

The custom physical implementation of circuit designs is a critical component of the integrated circuit (IC) process. Unfortunately, this step has been known to be one of the most time-consuming and prone to human error. Therefore, the need for a methodology that allows for faster, more accurate, and less error-prone work is … Read More

Gate Resistance in IC design flow

Gate Resistance in IC design flow
by Maxim Ershov on 05-03-2023 at 6:00 am

Figure1 9

MOSFET gate resistance is a very important parameter, determining many characteristics of MOSFETs and CMOS circuits, such as:

• Switching speed
• RC delay
• Fmax – maximum frequency of oscillations
• Gate (thermal) noise
• Series resistance and quality factor in MOS capacitors and varactors
• Switching speed and uniformity… Read More

TSMC 2023 North America Technology Symposium Overview Part 2

TSMC 2023 North America Technology Symposium Overview Part 2
by Daniel Nenni on 04-26-2023 at 8:00 pm

TSMC N3 Update 2023

The next topic I would like to cover is an update to the TSMC process node roadmap starting with N3. As predicted, N3 will be the most successful node in the TSMC FinFET family. The first version of N3 went into production at the end of last year (Apple) and will roll out with other customers in 2023. There is a reported record amount of … Read More

Achieving 400W Thermal Envelope for AI Datacenter SoCs

Achieving 400W Thermal Envelope for AI Datacenter SoCs
by Kalar Rajendiran on 12-05-2022 at 10:00 am

Alchip BlockDiagram Oct 26 2022 tsmc na oip presentation

Successful ASIC providers offer top-notch infrastructure and methodologies that can accommodate varied demands from a multitude of customers. Such ASIC providers also need access to best-in-class IP portfolio, advanced packaging and test capabilities, and heterogeneous chiplet integration capability among other things.… Read More

Intel Lands Top TSMC Customer

Intel Lands Top TSMC Customer
by Daniel Nenni on 07-25-2022 at 2:30 am

Intel Foundry and MediaTek

Most people will be surprised by this but after working in Taiwan for many years I quite expected it. Intel Announced that MediaTek will use Intel Foundry Services for FinFET based smart edge device chips. MediaTek will start with Intel 16nm technology which originated from the legendary 22nm, the first commercial FinFET process.… Read More

Can Intel Catch TSMC in 2025?

Can Intel Catch TSMC in 2025?
by Scotten Jones on 04-11-2022 at 6:00 am

Slide6

At the ISS conference held from April 4th through 6th I presented on who I thought would have the leading logic technology in 2025. The following is a write up of that presentation.

ISS was a virtual conference in 2021 and I presented on who currently had logic leadership and declared TSMC the clear leader. Following that conference,… Read More

CEO Interview: Harald Neubauer of MunEDA

CEO Interview: Harald Neubauer of MunEDA
by Daniel Nenni on 07-09-2021 at 6:00 am

Harald Neubauer CEO of MunEDA

It has been my pleasure to interview Harald Neubauer, CEO of MunEDA. A veteran of the EDA industry, Harald cofounded MunEDA in 2001.

What brought you to the EDA industry?

Well, I always wanted to found a tech startup and was developing and evaluating various business ideas together with my later cofounder Andreas. Soon after we got… Read More

TSMC and the FinFET Era!

TSMC and the FinFET Era!
by Daniel Nenni on 06-09-2021 at 6:00 am

Intel 22nm wafer

While there is a lot of excitement around the semiconductor shortage narrative and the fabs all being full, both 200mm and 300mm, there is one big plot hole and that is the FinFET era.

Intel ushered in the FinFET era only to lose FinFET dominance to the foundries shortly thereafter. In 2009 Intel brought out a 22nm FinFET wafer at the… Read More

CEO Interview: Kush Gulati of Omni Design Technologies

CEO Interview: Kush Gulati of Omni Design Technologies
by Daniel Nenni on 04-09-2021 at 6:00 am

Kush Gulati

Kush Gulati is the CEO of Omni Design Technologies, a company he co-founded in 2015 to lead a transformation in how high-performance analog IP is developed and integrated into SoCs in advanced process nodes. With a PhD from MIT, he is a renowned expert in data converters, and a serial entrepreneur. His first startup was a detective… Read More

How Intel Stumbled: A Perspective from the Trenches

How Intel Stumbled: A Perspective from the Trenches
by Daniel Nenni on 12-07-2020 at 6:00 am

Stacy and Bob Intel SemiWiki

Bloomberg did an interview with my favorite semiconductor analyst Stacy Rasgon on “How the Number One U.S. Semiconductor Company Stumbled” that I found interesting. Coupled with the Q&A Bob Swan did at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology Conference I thought it would be good content for a viral blog.

Stacy RasgonRead More