You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 07-22-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. ANSYS, Inc.
    Article: Anyone Can Build a Phone-pdno-webinar-min-jpg

On the off-chance you missed my previous pieces on this topic, at these dimensions conventional margin-based analysis becomes unreasonably pessimistic and it is necessary to analyze multiple dimensions together. People who build aircraft engines, ...
    by Published on 07-22-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    TowerJazz Technical Global Symposium Japan-does-elon-musk-hate-artificial-intelligence-jpg

Elon Musk, the tech billionaire and CEO of Tesla, was quoted as saying Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the “Greatest Risk We Face as a Civilization”. He recently met with the National Governor’s Association and advocated for government involvement and regulations. This seems to be a far ...
    by Published on 07-21-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries,
    4. STMicroelectronics,
    5. Samsung Foundry,
    6. FD-SOI,
    7. FinFET
    Article: How accurate are AMS Behavioral Models?-fdsoi-infrastructure-rev-2-jpg

At Semicon West last week I attended presentations by Soitec and CEA Leti, and had breakfast with CEA Leti CEO Marie Semeria, key members of the Fully Depleted Silicon On Insulator (FDSOI) ecosystem. I have also seen some comments in the SemiWiki forum lately that make me believe there is some confusion on the roles of different companies in the FDSOI ecosystem. In this article, I will review the key players and their roles and then discuss the ...
    by Published on 07-21-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Semiconductor Services,
    4. ARM,
    5. IoT Internet of Things,
    6. Open-Silicon
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-arm-approved-partner-logo-300x237-jpg

There are two interesting transformations that are currently taking place inside the semiconductor industry: First, systems companies (not chip companies) are now driving the semiconductor industry. Second, IoT focused chips are accelerating design starts. The result is what I would call ...
    by Published on 07-20-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Consensia
    -delphip-min-jpg

I hinted earlier that Consensia would introduce at DAC their comprehensive approach to IP management across the enterprise, which they call DelphIP (oracle of Delphi, applied to IP). I talked with Dave Noble, VP BizDev at Consensia to understand where this fits in the design lifecycle.

by Published on 07-20-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Flex Logix
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-amba_architecture-jpg

A key application for embedded FPGA (eFPGA) technology is to provide functionality for specific algorithms -- as the throughput of this implementation exceeds the equivalent code executing on a processor core, these SoC blocks are often referred to as accelerators. The programmability of eFPGA technology offers additional flexibility to the SoC designer, allowing algorithm optimizations and/or ...
    by Published on 07-19-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Methodics,
    4. Events
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-enterprise-abstraction-min-jpg

Last month at DAC I met up with Michael Munsey of Methodics to get a quick update on what has been happening over the past 12 months within his company, and he quickly invited me to watch an archived webinar on their latest tool for IP Lifecycle Management called Percipient. I love to play the board game Scrabble, so i had to Google the word Percipient to learn its meaning, "having a good understanding of things, perspective". OK, that's my new word for the day then.

We often blog about new and updated point EDA tools on SemiWiki, so it's refreshing to learn more about the category of EDA ...
    by Published on 07-19-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor Graphics,
    4. Events
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-hdap-min-jpg

Thursdays at the Design Automation Conference (DAC) are always a good time to catch up on areas of technology which are adjacent to that which you normally work. The exhibit floor is over and you have more time to spend in seminars. At this year's DAC, I took advantage of a half day seminar put ...
    by Published on 07-18-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mentor Graphics,
    3. Imagination Technologies,
    4. TSMC,
    5. Events,
    6. Automotive
    Article: Designing with FinFETs-functional-safety-standards-mentor-automotive-520x329-min-jpg

The fabless movement was instrumental in disaggregating the semiconductor industry. Vertical product development at the chip and system level has given way to a horizontal structure over the years. This organization of product development has been doing an admirable job of delivering extremely reliable products. However reliable for a phone is not reliable enough for an autonomous ...
    by Published on 07-18-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. ANSYS, Inc.,
    4. Automotive
    Article: Dear Santa, please bring technology that brings us together-multi-scale-multi-physics-min-jpg

Skipping over debates about what exactly changed hands in this transaction, what interests me is the technical motivation since I’m familiar with solutions at both companies. Of course, I can construct my own high-level rationalization, but I wanted ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7