[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by nghanayem

1. N

Samsung, Apple and Xiaomi Command Half of the Global Smartphone Market in Q1 2024

Alternatively I think apple is just an outlier. Consumer electronics has always been very low margin. Another point in Apple’s favor is that they cut out many of the merchant chip vendors and can capture that margin themselves. Finally in the android world there is little differentiation so you...
  2. N

Intel secures high-NA EUV kits over rivals

They claimed clearwater forest would be the first 18A product and would launch in 2025. They also showed a mock up at IFS-DC (mostly to show off their hybrid bonding tech). I doubt it will be larger volumes than a client part or even a P-core Xeon, but it is still an intel CPU at the end of the...
  3. N

5N4Y was announced in July 2021, so intel needs to deliver 18A products by July 2025 to hit 5N4Y.
  4. N

The Memory Foundry Opportunity

Memory makers make their own logic that is integrated onto their memory dies. YMTC and soon after Kioxia have somewhat broken this paradigm by manufacturing the periphery logic on a separate wafer and using hybrid bonding to connect the control logic to the memory array. My understanding is that...
  5. N

I just don't think it is true. No way intel has bought every single unit until 2H25. Considering ASML has shipped their second customer unit, intel hasn't claimed they got it (which I assume they would claim if they did) and TSMC gave a wink and double eyebrow raise when asked if it was them. I...
  6. N

Ultra Pure Silicon to Open new frontier in chips?

In theory more perfect substrates should have 0 impact on performance of leading edge CMOS devices as the channel is not made from the substrate. For nanosheet devices the channel material is made from epitaxially grown Si on top of the epitaxial SiGe. The one thing that may impact performance...
  7. N

Another Intel leader bites the dust, is this good?

Interesting… Given how short Stu was in charge it seems like he was intended to be more of an interim head of IFS when the old guy got poached to head that new Indian national champion. Either way sounds good that Stu’s replacement has a strong resume since the prior ones felt like the best...
  8. N

TSMC April 2024 Revenue Report

On that specific note I would say it went down. As an example RF devices used to be on leading nodes but all else being equal smaller transistors give worse performance so those sorts of use cases eventually stopped moving to new nodes (at least as fast) as they hit a good sweet spot. And I have...
  9. N

US Chip Workers Likely to Quit Jobs - McKinsey

I could only hope this is true, and that this is true it was a worldwide issue. The larger the labor shortfalls get that would hopefully catalyze a change in how the semiconductor manufactures source their talent to be more inline with the rest of the chemical industry. And while it wouldn't...
  10. N

TSMC April 2024 Revenue Report

That doesn’t change the point the Hskuo was making. Systems companies (besides Apple) weren’t making their own chips back in 2015. Google bought off the shelf SOCs for Pixel from merchant chip vendors. Cloud was not nearly as big as it is today and those folks were buying from AMD and mostly...
  11. N

America Projected to Triple Semiconductor Manufacturing Capacity by 2032, the Largest Rate of Growth in the World

Fab engineers and techs aren't unionized at any company outside of maybe ST-M which I think recently went on strike or something like that. And since we no longer live in the 1960s they also have round the clock coverage. If union folks are headed home, those are construction workers. Now, maybe...
  12. N

America Projected to Triple Semiconductor Manufacturing Capacity by 2032, the Largest Rate of Growth in the World

What is fantastical about it? The price of the tools don't double if the final destination is in the US vs anywhere else. All else being equal, sure the shell will be far more expensive, but I think that it could be not as bad as you'd think. As an example a fab in TW will need way more support...
  13. N

TSMC’s Advanced Packaging Capacity is fully booked for next two years by Nvidia and AMD

I have two minds on this. Assuming you cut out all of the logic and memory IDMs, my understanding TSMC is the largest 2.5/3D packaging house (because my understanding is that OSAT 2.5/3D ecosystem is more rudimentary). On the one hand you may want to keep things locked down as that makes TSMC’s...
  14. N

TSMC statement on next-generation EUV

Regardless of how robust the process is why would they keep it? Per intel’s data the R for Cu with a Co cladding is significantly lower than Co with only a tiny electromigration degradation. IMO that is a clearly better solution regardless of what intel could achieve with Co (doubly so as...
  15. N

TSMC statement on next-generation EUV

No. The density was never relaxed and cobalt was never removed. If you look at any of the ADL or TGL mobile teardowns you will still see all of the CDs intel showed off in 2017 and all of the headlining features are still there. But I will leave the actual enhancements that are easily visible at...
Back