[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by MKWVentures

1. M

About that large TSMC prepay.. and Intel accounting

excellent question. I am concerned on prepays to intel and prepays from intel . In my experience (supplier) a prepay is listed as a liability like a loan As a customer, i would think you would list it a purchased asset .... which means no impact to expenses (asset transfer). UPDATE: it should...
  2. M

Biden sharply hikes US tariffs on billions in Chinese chips

So the tariffs are paid by the customer. the importer. correct? long term this discourages buying from Chinese. Short term it hurts people in the US buying tech, correct?
  3. M

The Memory Foundry Opportunity

Anything is possible. but some challenges: NAND logic is not normal logic. it is very specific, low speed, high voltage. and it needs to be optimized with array with each spin. HBM DRAM already is planning to do what you said (buy from foundry). Although there is some logic on each die in the...
  4. M

With new technologies will Crossbar phase change memory become viable?

I give updates on this every year and the market. Phase change and crosspoint memories do not show any significant revenue for the next 5-10 years. Our model is that 3D DRAM is the next big thing. faster NVM is not really a large market and Existing MRAM and RRAM cover it. Chiplets changes the...
  5. M

Intel secures high-NA EUV kits over rivals

True, Intel3 and 20A answer is coming soon enough. When do you think Intel's first production 20A/18A factory will ship its first wafer?
  6. M

Intel secures high-NA EUV kits over rivals

reminder: Intel need hype and PR to gain respect and show leadership in the future. TSMC is just making wafers and tons of money. Those two companies will behave very differently for the next 5 years. Having videos on social media of the HIgh NA unboxing was hilarious.
  7. M

Another Intel leader bites the dust, is this good?

Intel organization has always been matrixed (i can give multiple examples) ..... so it more complex than a chart shows. With Intel claiming that Foundry and manufacturing are separate from product groups, it becomes even more complex as the public chart needs to show this clearly although...
  8. M

I got to give Intel Credit. News reports show Intel foundry has revenue of 4.4B in Q1 2024. They did not mention the sales of wafers and packaging to companies other that Intel (foundry work) which was reported in the 10Q. We have the gory details on our website www.mkwventures.com and the...
  9. M

@Daniel Nenni Did Kevin work in the IBM Semi or Foundry biz? Interesting
  10. M

Where is all the power going to come from for AI/ML

FYI ... back to the original question. There is not a concern. Electricity usage is not growing that fast in the US (3.5%) and the datacenter growth is easily within the add capacity. renewables are being added quickly so unless you close existing plants without warning there is no issue. The...
  11. M

Apple introduces M4 chip

meteor lake is below 40TOPS today. It doesn't meet Microsoft's definition of an AI processor. Lunar Lake will be great..... not so sure on Arrow lake. Wait and see.
  12. M

TSMC’s Advanced Packaging Capacity is fully booked for next two years by Nvidia and AMD

I think the difference is that lots of companies assemble heterogeneous chips. ASE, Amkor, etc can do those. I have worked on those for a few companies. The only thing TSMC is a leader in is high performance CoWoS..... even then you can get similar options at OSATS.... So maybe people are...
  13. M

TSMC’s Advanced Packaging Capacity is fully booked for next two years by Nvidia and AMD

@Daniel Nenni Who might want to use TSMC CoWoS Advanced packaging with other foundry die (Side note: CoWoS assembles packages from other companies).
  14. M

Sam Altman says helpful agents are poised to become AI’s killer function

“What you really want,” he told MIT Technology Review, “is just this thing that is off helping you.” No. I don't.
  15. M

Japan's Rapidus fab to compete with TSMC, Samsung for 2nm chips

This will become more interesting when they have a actual Fab (they do not have one, correct) and a process running somewhere (I don't believe there is a process running anywhere today). then they can talk about renewable energy, Single wafer lots, and no water use. I believe the pilot fab is...
Back