You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• ARM RSS Feed

by Published on 07-15-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/11574-thread-logo.jpg

From last week: “Chipmakers can’t afford to wait on the sidelines, hoping their standard fare gets picked up and fits in with one of these [#IoT] teams.” This week, it’s ARM, Freescale, and Silicon Labs joining with Google and others on Thread. Yet another consortium? A lot more to this story. ...
    by Published on 07-08-2014 01:13 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/11508-scalability-a50-serie.jpg

I have heard about ARM processor for the very first time in 1990, when I was interviewed by ES2 Design Center manager before being hired to subcontract an ASIC design for ES2. I don’t know why, but I remember very well that he told me about two of the ES2 partners: ...
    by Published on 05-09-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/10971-amd-mullins.jpg

Baseball loves a good switch hitter – from Frisch to Mantle to Rose to Murray to Jones, they are a rare and valuable commodity. AMD is calling on ambidexterity for its processors in 2015 and beyond, this week tipping plans for 20nm “Project SkyBridge” parts in either ARM or X86 with a common footprint. What remains to be seen is where they bat in the lineup. ...
    by Published on 04-23-2014 08:53 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/10814-armpowered.jpg

ARM announced their Q1 results yesterday. Having just written that Intel lost $1B in mobile, I guess I could have used the title "ARM didn't lose $1B in mobile." They made $100M (on revenues of $300M). So let's start off with what their results actually were and then look at what other things of interest they said on the conference call.

Q1 net profit rose to $104.7M
    Revenue climbed 10% to $305.2M
    Processor licensing revenue +38% in dollar terms; ...
    by Published on 04-17-2014 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM,
    4. Cadence,
    5. CEVA,
    6. Imagination Technologies
    content/attachments/10767-arm-logo.jpg

I think that the answer is pretty obvious, but the interesting point is to figure out which processor type, and which part of revenues, up-front license or royalties? One of my customers, let’s call him Mr. X, ask me to clarify this point. Mr. X has bought the excellent report from Gartner “Market Share: Semiconductor Design Intellectual Property, Worldwide, 2013” in which most of the IP vendors (at least all the large ...
    by Published on 04-09-2014 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/10678-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-roadmap.jpg

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 announcement this week may seem like just another mondo-core SoC on a way-cool TSMC 20nm advanced process. Looking past the technology shows an understated genius in creating a roadmap – and why yours and most everyone else’s probably sucks. ...
    by Published on 03-29-2014 05:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/10596-sioc-concept-cordio-bt4.jpg

For most devices, the on ramp to the Internet of Things means wireless, connecting a microcontroller or SoC via some kind of radio. It seems every merchant semiconductor company and embedded software firm has jumped on board the IoT wagon. There is a litany of chips, modules, operating systems, and protocol stacks already, and the list is growing daily.

That is, if you want to buy something, ...
    by Published on 03-20-2014 04:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Cadence,
    5. ARM
    content/attachments/10511-iot0.jpg

There is clearly a lot of hype about the Internet of Things (IoT) right now, but also it is clear that it will be a real market. In fact, it already is with various medical, fitness and home-appliance products already available. At CES in January, wearables was probably the biggest trend. That doesn't always pan out (3D TV was the biggest trend a couple of years ago and how's your 3D TV working out?) ...
    by Published on 03-02-2014 03:57 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM
    content/attachments/10346-alib.jpg

St. Francis Xavier said “Give me the child until he is seven and I'll give you the man." ARM is not going for them quite that young but this week they announced their "lab in a box" for participating universities worldwide. It is actually a joint launch between the ARM University Program (which is not new) and various partners. Since ARM doesn't actually make any silicon themselves, they can't supply everything needed themselves even if they ...
    by Published on 02-27-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM

In case you have not seen it yet there is a website named 50BillionChips where you can follow the journey of ARM. This goes quite well with the brief history of ARM we wrote last year in preparation for our book Fabless: The Transformation of the Semiconductor Industry. ARM was a big part of that transformation of course.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast