Very true, memory is not my market. I can only speak to my personal usage and my wife and I are buying new Dell laptops this weekend (Presidents Day Sale) with 1TB SSDs...

Quote Originally Posted by name99 View Post
I get the point, and I've no doubt there will be a few cases of that UNTIL the bad manual drivers learn that, oh dear, EVERY damn thing they did while driving badly (from their speed to their tactics) is recorded by smart cars, along with pesky details like license plates...

We've already had a few cases of road rage prosecuted based on dash cam or passenger phone footage, and prosecuting manual drivers who go beyond what is legal will soon become routinized, without even a requirement for intervention by human legal professionals. As for not quite illegal, but definitely being a dick, well, all we need is a similarly automatic system that uploads the tell-tale footage to insurance companies.

In the past we were supposed to live as though god were always watching. In the future god WILL always be watching, on the road as elsewhere. Unclear what the consequences (ALL things considered) will be...

As for iPhone X and NAND demand, I think you're missing just how flexible NAND is as a material. Even assuming lower iPhone X demand for the iPhone X 2018 model (something I consider an extremely dubious claim) there are multiple places where Apple could increase their use of NAND and has not yet done so primarily based on cost or technology, not on desire. For example ultimately (maybe this year, maybe in 2020) I expect to see "significant" amounts of flash in AirPods (say at least the 4GB or so of an early iPod nano), allowing for direct "on-Airpod" playback of material, reducing battery consumption. Likewise there's scope for more than the 8GB of flash on an aWatch once Apple allows for more flexible audio content storage on the device, and so a better untethered audio experience if, for whatever reason, you choose to leave your phone at home (this seems to be big with runners and other athletes).

Likewise there are companies working hard (eg Peter Hoddie's new venture, Moddable (@moddabletech) | Twitter ) to add appropriate displays to low-cost IoT type items that currently suck because of their baroque UI's [think eg dash cams, or smart scales]. Once again, lots of scope for small (but many) uses of flash there...