You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden Inside AMD's Financials...

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 31
    Where did you get the 100mm2 figure? It is almost twice as big.
    Yes, 44mm2 is the size of just 4 Ryzen core, then you have 16mm2 for 8Mb L3, 6mm2 for the L2, etc etc. All must be multiplied by 2 for the 8 core variant. Below is a die shot published by AMD:

Hidden Inside AMD's Financials...-ryzen-die-800x352-jpg

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 5
    I got the 44mm² number (for 4 cores) from here: AMD touts Zen die size advantage at ISSCC - The Tech Report

I believed it is the complete die size. But looking at the die shot and assuming the L3 cache size (for one 8MB part) to be 16mm², I agree with you that it must be more something like 200mm² (for the 8 core)... (and therefore about 100mm² for the 4 core).

Sorry for the confusion...

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    I can assure you Google also evaluated an AMD board. Let's see what Amazon does. Microsoft cloud will also be Intel.

By Urs Hölzle, Senior Vice President, Google Cloud Infrastructure
    I’m excited to announce that Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is the first cloud provider to offer the next generation Intel Xeon processor, codenamed Skylake.

Google Cloud Platform Blog: Google Cloud Platform is the first cloud provider to offer Intel Skylake
    This is certainly a nice endorsement, but by no means does it indicate anything exclusive.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12