You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: Sub-threshold voltage supply for IoT

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Question Sub-threshold voltage supply for IoT

I am looking for Big companies which provide R&D in the sub-threshold voltage supply for purposes of IoT.
    Does anybody know such companies?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 690
    Given: 1,946
    Just our of curiosity, why do you ask?

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    I am very curious about this power mode of operation so i am looking for new ASIC design opportunities in this field. I prefer to work on things which are interesting for me, this is my credo.
    But i am not sure that anyone in the industry is close enough to represent sub-threshold chips to market. That is why i ask.

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 50
    Intel demoed solar powered near-threshold Atoms a few years back if you remember.

Just looking around: Ambiq Micro – The low power revolution starts here -- but they are not a big company I guess.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Intel's experiments do not look like a serious try: they just lowered the supply voltage below normal, and that revealed inoperability of their RAM+Cache. It seems they didn't actually want to make a commercial product.
    Anyway the near-threshold and the sub-threshold voltages are quite different from each other, because a power consumption may differ by a number of decades in both of this power modes. So, the sub-threshold mode is much more suitable for IoT and energy harvesting applications than near-threshold voltage supply.
    But, thank You anyway. I never heard about Ambiq Micro.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!