You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by pSupaNova View Post
    Bad move on his part I would expect All CPU makers shares to rise, well the ones who use speculative branching to as customers scramble to replace affected parts.

Intel should be leading the charge in bringing out parts that are immune to these exploits.

“Meltdown” and “Spectre”: Every modern processor has unfixable security flaws | Ars Technica

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 9
    I am wondering about one thing. According to the press, Intel has been informed about the bug in June 2017. However it released new processors on October 2017, knowing that these processors are indeed affected and that fixes are at best semi-possible to fix through firmware and software patches.

This is bad.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0
    I think it goes deeper. INTC management had to know this was possible, but used it as a shortcut to overcome architectural flaws in x86. By running without the seat-belts others provided, they could claim performance advantages and win in the market with no concern about the long term impact on customers. Even if they "get away" with this, they have lost all credibility with smart (cloud) customers who will back away and stop doing business with them. Maybe they will open source their own general CPU design that is more modern than this mess. POWER? Beyond that, imagine using any INTC chip in a car!

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 9
    From my understanding, this is not an ISA issue (i.e. x86 specific) but an implementation/architectural issue. I am wondering, are all the performance-impacting fixes be applied equally to all processors no matter if they are vulnerable or not? I mean if an AMD processor is not vulnerable, will the patches be applied to it as well as part of the fixes that OS providers will roll out? If this happens then others will be more screwed than Intel.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12