You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: The future of soc design:no more integration!. And who needs RAM ?

ippisl

The future of soc design:no more integration!. And who needs RAM ?

A very interesting interview with Marvel's CEO , about simpler process for SOC design, and new technique to greatly decrease RAM usage:

http://www.marvell.com/architecture/...t-Sutardja.pdf

2 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 324
    Great article, Thanks for the link. It definitely points to another option going forward in SOC design. It makes me wonder why this wasn't done before. That's one question I have for the SemiWiki community if anyone has some input on this.

0 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 324
    I checked with a top scientist I know and he felt this is a dramatic use of technology that could fundamentally change the semi industry. Does anyone feel the same way or have a counter argument?

0 Not allowed!

ippisl
    The pattern of industries shifting from integrated to modular usually causes a lot of big business changes and also improves the rate of innovation. This was accross a variety of industries.

So if the technical perspective here is true - that you can build modular chips while retaining performance/cost - this could be fundamental.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Eric Esteve; 10-19-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 115
    The idea is great, building modular chips instead of massive SoC. In fact it push the reuse concept from IP to IC. Interesting, Sutardja doesn't plan to use MCP (too expensive?). I assume that MCP would partly reduce power dissipated in the interconnects (probably one drawback, but we need further evaluation to know how much extra-power).

From a business perspective, DRAM manufacturer should lobby against the idea. Interface IP vendors should not be happy too, or change their business model, as they will sell one time for one chip, which will be reused in multiple apps instead of building one SoC for one apps...

0 Not allowed!
    Eric Esteve - IPnest (IP Marketing & Survey & Strategy)
    +33 608 130 656

ippisl
    Eric: As for price , i think SIP probably cracked the price issues. There's even an mcu company that uses it.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/f2/wi...rket-6603.html

And it would be very interesting to see if he could make this dram cache idea successful despite the strong resistance by DRAM makers, and how will he do it.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 120
    DRAM makers make flash, maybe they won't mind.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 120
    Arguments for SIP have always been the same but never stopped SoC development. I think the big companies need the SoC concept to dominate IP in key products, i.e., processors. Another factor is that many technologies that can potentially bring out the advantage of SIP-integration, like III-V, MEMS, are still not cost-effective enough to be high-volume.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fred Chen; 10-21-2015 at 04:36 AM.

alimeeabey
    What a great in information shared here. Thanks all.

0 Not allowed!