You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: TSMC and AMD at 7nm

Thumbs Up
    Received: 913
    Given: 2,368

TSMC and AMD at 7nm

On the AMD Q1 2018 call Lisa Su confirmed that the new GPU products are 7nm and manufactured at TSMC. She did not say however where the 7nm Ryzen would be manufactured. Does anybody know? None of the analysts asked unfortunately.

I would expect GF 7nm but I don't really know. TSMC really is going to have a big 7nm year next year with the addition of Qualcomm and AMD to the rest of the TSMC parade of customers, absolutely.

Lisa T. Su - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    We have a 7-nanometer GPU based on Vega that we'll sample later this year. We have a 7-nanometer server CPU that we'll sample later this year. And then, obviously, we have a number of products that are planned for 2019 as well. So it's a very, very busy product season for us. But we're pleased with the sort of the execution on the product roadmap.

So our foundry strategy is to use both TSMC and GLOBALFOUNDRIES on the first 7-nanometer product. We are using TSMC for that product (GPU) and we have a very strong relationship with them. And so, we do see a good momentum on it from what we see, and I'm not concerned about capacity.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Q1 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 8

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 104
    It has to be Globalfoundries, otherwise they wouldn't have enough volume to satisfy the wafer agreement.

0 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 163
    AMD has 12nm work at GlobalFoundries; I wonder if this allows them to go exclusively TSMC for 7nm?

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 127
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    On the AMD Q1 2018 call Lisa Su confirmed that the new GPU products are 7nm and manufactured at TSMC. She did not say however where the 7nm Ryzen would be manufactured. Does anybody know? None of the analysts asked unfortunately.

I would expect GF 7nm but I don't really know. TSMC really is going to have a big 7nm year next year with the addition of Qualcomm and AMD to the rest of the TSMC parade of customers, absolutely.

We have a 7-nanometer GPU based on Vega that we'll sample later this year. We have a 7-nanometer server CPU that we'll sample later this year. And then, obviously, we have a number of products that are planned for 2019 as well. So it's a very, very busy product season for us. But we're pleased with the sort of the execution on the product roadmap.

So our foundry strategy is to use both TSMC and GLOBALFOUNDRIES on the first 7-nanometer product. We are using TSMC for that product (GPU) and we have a very strong relationship with them. And so, we do see a good momentum on it from what we see, and I'm not concerned about capacity.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Q1 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha
    Daniel
    I think AMD is going with Vega 7nm and Navi at TSMC while Zen 2 based products are likely to be at GF. btw this is just a guess. I am going by Gary Patton's interview with anandtech recently where he says they have a couple of key customers who will be ramping 7nm products in H1 2019. I would say AMD is definitely the lead customer at GF 7LP with Zen 2 based server CPUs shipping first by mid -2019.

The Future of Silicon: An Exclusive Interview with Dr. Gary Patton, CTO of GlobalFoundries

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 913
    Given: 2,368
    Quote Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
    Daniel
    I think AMD is going with Vega 7nm and Navi at TSMC while Zen 2 based products are likely to be at GF. btw this is just a guess. I am going by Gary Patton's interview with anandtech recently where he says they have a couple of key customers who will be ramping 7nm products in H1 2019. I would say AMD is definitely the lead customer at GF 7LP with Zen 2 based server CPUs shipping first by mid -2019.

The Future of Silicon: An Exclusive Interview with Dr. Gary Patton, CTO of GlobalFoundries

I have checked around and I agree. This will be the first time AMD has a customized process since they went fabless. The first GF 7nm will be performance optimized based on the Zen 2. Zen 1 was on the GF 14nm process licensed by Samsung.

Intel could have serious competition here in 2019....

1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"