You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: How safe is it to work in a fab?

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 16
    Without intel you can forget about PERS and a lot of other stuff.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,021
    Given: 2,520
    It is probably a lot safer to work at one than it is to live near one. The ground water in Silicon Valley was a real problem in the 1980s and it was traced back to the fabs, one of which I worked at in Sunnyvale. There was a much higher incidence of birth defects and such, so much that my wife wanted to move before we started having children, which we did.

You have to wonder what is going to happen in Asia where semiconductors are and Government controls are not. I can tell you for a fact that the air quality is horrible and I do not dare to drink the tap water.

2 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1
    I too remember the toxic plume of trichlorethylene in the aquifers in San Jose. The Fairchild fab was the first Superfund site. I also remember hearing the alarm go off at AMD and watching everyone bail out of SDC when there was a gas leak. Scary!

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 453
    Does trichlorethylene etch away aluminum? That's a powerful chemical to be in the aquifer.

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com