You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD 7nm in August 2018: What foundry?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

AMD 7nm in August 2018: What foundry?

AMD Navi based Graphics cards Might Arrive in August 2018 and it will be 7nm.
    AMD's next-gen Navi GPU launching in August 2018
    If it is true, I'm wondering, who is fabbing them?

GF? I don't expect GF 7LP to be ready till late 2018 (zen2 is expected in early 2019)

TSMC? We know that AMD is using TSMC 12 nm for Graphics cards, but I don't think TSMC 7nm will be available for AMD so early. We know TSMC 7-nanometer process node has already had several tape-outs and expects to reach volume capacity in 2018, but we also know Apple (maybe Qualcomm too?) has higher priority.

Any additional info or rumors?

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 21
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post

GF? I don't expect GF 7LP to be ready till late 2018 (zen2 is expected in early 2019)

TSMC? We know that AMD is using TSMC 12 nm for Graphics cards, but I don't think TSMC 7nm will be available for AMD so early. We know TSMC 7-nanometer process node has already had several tape-outs and expects to reach volume capacity in 2018, but we also know Apple (maybe Qualcomm too?) has higher priority.

Since these are just rumours there is no guarantee that AMD will ship 7nm Navi in 2018. AMD could ship 7nm Navi by late 2018 or early 2019 but only if they are manufactured at TSMC N7 as thats the node which will be going into volume production in Q2 2018. Apple would get almost all the TSMC 7nm wafers in 2018 but AMD could get a very small initial wafer allocation starting in Q3 or Q4 2018 with the real volume coming in 2019. I still do not think we will see a 7nm GPU before Q2 2019 at the earliest. imo AMD will use TSMC N7 for GPUs and GF 7LP for Zen 2 and Rome server CPUs. I do not think GF will be able to supply enough wafers for AMD to fab both CPU and GPU at GF 7LP. Moreover I do not expect a GF 7LP based AMD product to ship before mid-Q3 2019.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 36
    Quote Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
    Moreover I do not expect a GF 7LP based AMD product to ship before mid-Q3 2019.
    Can I ask you why and based on what? It is still October 2017 as we speak.

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by astilo View Post
    Can I ask you why and based on what? It is still October 2017 as we speak.
    Risk production for GF 7LP starts in Q2 2018. It usually takes 1 year to go from risk to high volume production (HVM) which puts HVM in Q2 2019 . Thus actual products fabbed at GF 7LP are unlikely to arrive before Q3 2019.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post

Since AMD competes with Intel the ship dates are very different.You have to remember that a foundry going into production at a certain node does not mean a foundry customer will be in production anywhere near that time. Intel however ships chips so their node production date is much more definite. AMD also ships less mature silicon that Intel does so the dates are very misleading.

If AMD is in production with 7nm in 2018 it will most certainly be risk production and not HVM. At the GTC event last month I was told that AMD CPU and GPU products were being done at GF while AMD game console products were at TSMC 16nm and 12nm. No mention of TSMC 7nm was made. I can check again with engineering contacts inside AMD but I have no reason to doubt they will be at GF.

You should also know that the first version of TSMC 7nm is for SoCs (Apple and QCOM). The high performance version of 7nm that is being developed with NVIDIA will be out later. Since Nvidia is intimately involved with I highly doubt AMD has early access to it.

1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    My take is tsmc will make CPU for AMD rather than GPU. This way it can appease one of their big customer Nvidia and at the same time take over shares of INTEL business

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ryeoh1969 View Post
    My take is tsmc will make CPU for AMD rather than GPU. This way it can appease one of their big customer Nvidia and at the same time take over shares of INTEL business
    AMD CPUs and APUs are likely to be manufactured at GF 7LP as AMD is their primary customer with wafer commitments to meet. Moreover GF 7LP process is designed for AMD's high performance CPU requirements. TSMC will probably manufacture AMD GPUs.

1 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 42
    Quote Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
    AMD CPUs and APUs are likely to be manufactured at GF 7LP as AMD is their primary customer with wafer commitments to meet. Moreover GF 7LP process is designed for AMD's high performance CPU requirements. TSMC will probably manufacture AMD GPUs.
    What are these requirements? TSMC is manufacturing 5GHz SPARC M8. 4 GHz ARM was demonstrated using 7nm. So what more AMD needs?

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 7
    If they have the mechanics that keep the machines going.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo035 View Post
    What are these requirements? TSMC is manufacturing 5GHz SPARC M8. 4 GHz ARM was demonstrated using 7nm. So what more AMD needs?
    Ryzen on 14LPP was a great success (they have 16 cores/32 threads running above 4GHz, very cost effective, good density and high yield). I see no reason to change foundry for them.
    I do not like monopoly.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast