You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong Q3-2017 results ASML

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 6

Strong Q3-2017 results ASML

Q3 Sales Strong Across the Full Product Portfolio - Very Strong Demand for DUV Systems, EUV Shipments Continue to Ramp in Support of Customer Plans:

CEO Statement
    "ASML today reports third-quarter net sales that exceed our guidance, partially due to the revenue recognition of an additional EUV system, showing strong demand across the entire product portfolio. With our fourth-quarter guidance, we are confirming our view that 2017 net sales will be at least 25 percent higher than 2016 net sales. Our current view is that the positive business environment that we are seeing today will continue in 2018, supported by our strong backlog of 5.7 billion euros, which is driven by all product categories," ASML President and Chief Executive Officer Peter Wennink said.

Regarding pellicles ASML explicitly states:
    "We also conducted a power capability test with our EUV pellicle, which protects the mask from particles during exposure, and showed that the current design can withstand 250 Watts of EUV power."

Full info here: Q3 results link.

User nl

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 2,023
    Mostly memory buyers and no new EUV orders?

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    From listening to the investors call and the presentation material I understand the following:

current backlog of EUV=23 units of which 6 will ship in Q4-17. That leaves 17 orders for 2018 plus 4 upgrades to NXE3400. I think they have capacity in 2018 of 20 new EUV plus 4 upgrades. So, you would think there are still 3 units for sale / not assigned in the 2018 EUV capacity. CEO Peter Wennink said they expect new EUV orders in Q4-17, the current quarter.

In the conference call Wennink gave the impression that the demand for 2019 from customers was larger than the 30 units they have planned for now. At some point he mentioned demand was some 30% higher, which would make demand for 2019 around 38-40 units or so. The bottleneck is in the capacity of the EUV lens system that is made by Zeiss, so they are discussing with Zeiss if capacity for 2019 can be increased. Also they want to speed up manufacturing/delivery time from 24 months to 18 months in 2019.

In the call Wennink also gave the impression that the customers want to speed up the development of the high-NA next-generation EUV tool that is scheduled for ~2022 or so. Wennink said that if customers want that tool earlier, they have to invest extra in some sort of co-investment agreement so that Zeiss can speed up development/manufacturing of that new high-NA lens system. The EUV light source will be the same/similar as it is now, apart from incremental improvements during the years. It seems ASML is in detailed discussions with customers about that co-investment process regarding high-NA EUV.

I was quite impressed with the large number of iArF DUV tools they shipped in Q3-17, 22 units, and their DUV backlog has increased to 43 units from 34 in Q2-17.

Maybe tomorrow the conference call transcript is available....

User nl

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by user nl; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:24 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 2,023
    Interesting. Im on my way to Taiwan and I will check in with my litho friends. Last I heard 5 layers can be EUV for 7nm but they may get to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by user nl View Post
    From listening to the investors call and the presentation material I understand the following:

current backlog of EUV=23 units of which 6 will ship in Q4-17. That leaves 17 orders for 2018 plus 4 upgrades to NXE3400. I think they have capacity in 2018 of 20 new EUV plus 4 upgrades. So, you would think there are still 3 units for sale / not assigned in the 2018 EUV capacity. CEO Peter Wennink said they expect new EUV orders in Q4-17, the current quarter.

In the conference call Wennink gave the impression that the demand for 2019 from customers was larger than the 30 units they have planned for now. At some point he mentioned demand was some 30% higher, which would make demand for 2019 around 38-40 units or so. The bottleneck is in the capacity of the EUV lens system that is made by Zeiss, so they are discussing with Zeiss if capacity for 2019 can be increased. Also they want to speed up manufacturing/delivery time from 24 months to 18 months in 2019.

In the call Wennink also gave the impression that the customers want to speed up the development of the high-NA next-generation EUV tool that is scheduled for ~2022 or so. Wennink said that if customers want that tool earlier, they have to invest extra in some sort of co-investment agreement so that Zeiss can speed up development/manufacturing of that new high-NA lens system. The EUV light source will be the same/similar as it is now, apart from incremental improvements during the years. It seems ASML is in detailed discussions with customers about that co-investment process regarding high-NA EUV.

I was quite impressed with the large number of iArF DUV tools they shipped in Q3-17, 22 units, and their DUV backlog has increased to 43 units from 34 in Q2-17.

Maybe tomorrow the conference call transcript is available....

User nl

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 111
    Quote Originally Posted by user nl View Post

Regarding pellicles ASML explicitly states:
    "We also conducted a power capability test with our EUV pellicle, which protects the mask from particles during exposure, and showed that the current design can withstand 250 Watts of EUV power."

Full info here: Q3 results link.

User nl
    They probably did not test in hydrogen in a tool itself. 250W was demonstrated standalone not integrated.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fred Chen; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:55 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    TSMC just confirmed only a few EUV layers at N7+ on their conference call

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 0
    Interesting. Im on my way to Taiwan and I will check in with my litho friends. Last I heard 5 layers can be EUV for 7nm but they may get to 10.
    5 EUV layers is correct for N7+, mask count saving is 10 layers -- this might be the reason for the two numbers you heard...

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Not sure how reliable this source is:

Keeping Leadership In 7-Nano Era

Samsung Electronics Seeks to Buy Up Next-gen Semiconductor Mfg Equipment
    SEOUL,KOREA

20 October 2017 - 10:00am

Cho Jin-young

Samsung Electronics is buying up next-generation semiconductor manufacturing equipment that cost 200 billion won (US$176.52 million) per unit,
    As Samsung Electronics buys up next-generation semiconductor manufacturing equipment that cost 200 billion won (US$176.52 million) per unit, the company is trying to gaining a competitive edge in the advanced technology of micro-processing lower than the 7-nanometer (nm).

According to industry sources on October 19, Samsung Electronics is considering a plan to purchase 10 extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography tools from the Netherlands-based ASML, the biggest semiconductor equipment maker in the world.

Samsung is now in talks to buy 10 EUV lithography tools and it is almost the equivalent to the total number of EUV lithography tools that ASML can be produced a year. ASML believes that it can produce about 12 EUV lithography tools this year. It is the only company that manufactures EUV lithography tools in the world.
    Since Samsung Electronics has been exclusively buying next-generation semiconductor production equipment before its competitors, the company is seeking to overwhelm its competitors again with the same strategy, according to market watchers. In this regard, Samsung Electronics and ASML said, “We cannot officially confirm the fact.”

Keeping Leadership in 7-nano Era: Samsung Electronics Seeks to Buy Up Next-gen Semiconductor Mfg Equipment | BusinessKorea

If true it must be the last 3 units of the not-sold yet 2018 capacity (in total 20 new NXE3400 + 4 upgrades), and 7 units of the 2019 capacity (>30 units). To really buy up the 2019 capacity that will be some >23 units more....

User nl.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by user nl; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:28 AM.

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    5 EUV layers is correct for N7+, mask count saving is 10 layers -- this might be the reason for the two numbers you heard...
    I'm no expert in this. Not sure to which N7 process (SAMSUNG, TSMC, INTEL, IMEC?) this slide of ASML refers, it suggests 10 layers by EUV, with 5 (additional) candidate layers. See slide 17 in ASML's Q2 presentation from 17 July 2017 here:

https://staticwww.asml.com/doclib/in...on_Q2_2017.pdf

Any comments by experts are appreciated. Thanks,

User nl

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast