You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: Semiconductors/EDA in Australia...

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Semiconductors/EDA in Australia...

Hello Experts!!

I am an electronics engineer, who used to work in the EDA domain for the semiconductors industry.

My role was to develop PDKs(Process Design Kits) for various foundries using Agilent ADS tools. I have expertise in C based coding. I am well versed with the ADS, Cadence virtuoso tools. I have worked extensively in the DRC rule deck creation and thus I am also familiar with the Assura and Calibre.

I have moved to Australia, an year ago and since then I have been looking for a job in the similar profile, but unfortunately there is noting relevant to match my profile here in Australia.

I really need an expert advice as to how I may improve/develop my skills to acquire a job in the similar profile. I really want to stick to the electronics industry. I was really good at digital electronics during my course. But the issue is, it's been more than 10 years since I've passed out of college. Nobody is willing to consider me for the entry level jobs, and I have no other experience in any other field.

0 Not allowed!

Blogger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Options

Quote Originally Posted by priyanka22monga@gmail.com View Post
    Hello Experts!!

I am an electronics engineer, who used to work in the EDA domain for the semiconductors industry.

My role was to develop PDKs(Process Design Kits) for various foundries using Agilent ADS tools. I have expertise in C based coding. I am well versed with the ADS, Cadence virtuoso tools. I have worked extensively in the DRC rule deck creation and thus I am also familiar with the Assura and Calibre.

I have moved to Australia, an year ago and since then I have been looking for a job in the similar profile, but unfortunately there is noting relevant to match my profile here in Australia.

I really need an expert advice as to how I may improve/develop my skills to acquire a job in the similar profile. I really want to stick to the electronics industry. I was really good at digital electronics during my course. But the issue is, it's been more than 10 years since I've passed out of college. Nobody is willing to consider me for the entry level jobs, and I have no other experience in any other field.
    --------------------------------------------

Sorry to disappoint you but you are in the wrong country for VLSI development. Unless you find somebody in older technologies (above FinFet) who is willing to let you work remote, not much help from any of us.

The only place you may find something related is universities that have courses in VLSI. But again, the students will have to have future job prospects and I personally do not know of any company in the chip design in Australia. So first step talk to Electronic Engineering professors in Australian universities.

Second step is looking for industries that are an extension to chip design or have similar needs.

PCB design and tools, maybe companies who are doing system design, board level design, these are first options that came to mind.

The other option is to look at mechanical design tools, AutoCad, ProEng, etc. You may be able to expand your experience in a different field.

Both options above need tools and "equivalent" PDK to work.

Sorry cannot help more

Good luck!

Dan

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for highlighting the true insight of my current situation.

I will try the options mentioned by you in the reply above.

Meanwhile, is there any online course which I may enroll to get some knowledge in other domains of electronis (anything work for me, literally)? Do the courses offered by coursera, udemy, edx etc really add value to your profile and attract recruiters?

Thanks,
    Priyanka

0 Not allowed!