You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: Running AI in Memory, not Processors IBM

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 268

Running AI in Memory, not Processors IBM

It seems IBM may be developing a version of Automata computing, Micron through their spin off of Natural Intelligence and maybe even TSM by combining phase change memory and a processor with their InFo packaging method. This is just my conjecture, but from my research I feel there is something there. Any comments, ideas or thoughts on this solicited and welcomed.

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...on-processors/

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:03 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 411
    The IBM work is unrelated to Automata, Natural Intelligence, TSMC and InFo packaging.

Temporal correlation detection using computational phase-change memory | Nature Communications

IBM does show how they use Phase Change Memory to perform some processing inside of the memory array itself instead of using a processor. It appears to be a quirky PCM technology looking for a problem to solve.

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 268
    Dan, could you give me your view on mixing memory and processing on the same chip or tightly packaged chips with InFo packaging or something similar? Do you think this may be a dead end, a step in progress or a whole new area of exploration. Thanks

0 Not allowed!