You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: Room Temperature Superconductivity Graphene, Real World?

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 363

Room Temperature Superconductivity Graphene, Real World?

Room temperature superconductivity has been achieved and verified in experiment after experiment. Does anyone have any input on this from the information in the link below. With this become the holy grail of superconductivity or just a laboratory curiosity? If it is so, are there any estimates when a prototype processor could be built and if there really is a commercial future? Any thoughts or opinions solicited and welcome even if just an educated guess. I have been studying graphene for about seven years and this seems one of the most exciting developments.

Surprise graphene discovery could unlock secrets of superconductivity

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 427
    Their technique of aligning two graphene layers at 1.1 degrees becomes superconducting at 1.7 degrees above absolute zero, so that's a huge distance away from room temperature.

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    My mistake, sorry about that. This is where I got the room temperature from. Guess I was trying to read to fast, but maybe someday it might come true.

When twisted into ‘magic angle’, graphene becomes a superconductor

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 03-08-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 5
    According to Insulator or superconductor? Physicists find graphene is both | MIT News , the point of the research is to have a simpler platform for studying why doping Mott insulators with oxygen can turn them into superconductors. That happens at the relatively high temperature of 100 degrees, which is warmer than the boiling point of nitrogen.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 370
    No sweat Arthur - I got the temperature of liquid nitrogen (in re superconductivity) wildly wrong in an earlier post and I have a doctorate in physics

0 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Pierce View Post
    According to Insulator or superconductor? Physicists find graphene is both | MIT News , the point of the research is to have a simpler platform for studying why doping Mott insulators with oxygen can turn them into superconductors. That happens at the relatively high temperature of 100 degrees, which is warmer than the boiling point of nitrogen.
    Brad, that was a most interesting link. Maybe the most interesting changes in semis might come from the materials themselves.

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 0
    There was a big hype about fullerenes and carbon nanotubes some 15-20 years ago.
    The real practical applications fell short of the promise, hype and multi-billion dollar investments and grants - in sporting goods, ESD coatings, water filters, etc.:

Carbon Nanotubes: Present and Future Commercial Applications | Science

There is now a hype in graphene, with great promises, expectations, new billions of dollars in grants, thousands of papers in journals, Nobel Prize (awarded to two remarkable physicists, graduates from my university - MIPT), etc. etc.
    After ~15 years of intense research, and efforts to use graphene to prolong the Moore's law, the only practical commercial application (as far as I know) of graphene is, again , water purification:

Graphene water filter turns whisky clear

Graphene products - current and upcoming graphene-enhanced devices | Graphene-Info

I am not sure what's the importance of ultra-high electron mobility, massless Dirac's fermions, and other fascinating properties of graphene in making it a great water purification material, or better golf balls.

Indeed, graphene is "big, if true" (in terms of practical industrial applications - not in terms of its basic interesting physical properties, that are already proven).

0 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 5
    We could join the Graphene Council The Graphene Council

0 Not allowed!