You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel's fake news

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 80

Intel's fake news

In the Investor meeting Intel was up to their old tricks. This is one of the slides that they posted:
    Intel's fake news-intelaternativereality-jpg
    Can you spot the deliberate mistake?

1 Not allowed!

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 9
    There are quite a few glaring issues with this slide. Omission of foundry 7nm due next year, and then extrapolating the foundry line without it. Extrapolating their own line at a rate that isn't consistent with their roadmap. Claiming a 3 year process advantage based on the past, when in the present their advantage is perhaps 1 year, soon to be 0 years. List goes on.

4 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    In the Investor meeting Intel was up to their old tricks. This is one of the slides that they posted:

Intel's fake news-intelaternativereality-jpg

Can you spot the deliberate mistake?
    I can't believe Murthy presented that slide. He should know better. I have attached his presentation in case someone is interested. I guess it takes about one year to brain wash a semiconductor professional. Good to know.

"Intel will have enjoyed a lead of three years when competitors launch 10nm process"

Seriously? competitors have ALREADY launched 10nm processes and they are better than Intel 14nm. Based on what we know today TSMC 7nm will lanuch about the same time as Intel 10nm and again it will be better.

What is Intel really trying to accomplish here?!?!?!? Besides angering the fabless semiconductor ecosystem yet again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 02-09-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4
    Intel can keep eyes closed and still keep believing they are the process leader.
    Most fore front design houses are already working on 7nm product chips.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by maks10 View Post
    Intel can keep eyes closed and still keep believing they are the process leader.
    Most fore front design houses are already working on 7nm product chips.
    True, but foundry 7nm and Intel 10nm are very similar (same CPP and MMP) so there's little timescale difference -- but Intel being way in front is clearly bulls*it.

Daniel, why do you say that TSMC 7nm will be "better" than (same geometry) Intel 10nm? Better PPA? Better IP? Cheaper?

Not trying to favour Intel or TSMC, just get a level playing field in discussions...

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by IanD; 02-10-2017 at 02:15 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 1,774
    Here is a transcript. I found the whole thing less than transparent even though they said it would be transparent. I guess it is subjective but I was seriously disappointed in the entire day in regards to the information provided. Hopefully AMD will provide Intel with a long overdue wake-up call.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 5
    I think AMD will succeed in supporting niche thing like webhosting, cdn, digital advertising agency, ... but won't make mainstream. We'll feel the impact but intel's the best product for the typical consumer.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 0
    No discussion about AMD in the PPT. Perhaps this is doctrine--never provide free advertising/legitimatize a competitor by discussing.
    The foundry world remains relatively incomparable to the Intel world. It is frustrating. It lets Intel claim whatever they want, and they are taking advantage of this opportunity. This is capitalism though, not a conspiracy; Intel tech is ubiquitous but not a commodity.
    Eventually, Chromebooks will provide the comparisons needed. Samsung is introducing low-end Chromebooks with ARM processors and high-end ones with Intel Y processors with everything else being pretty identical. Interesting to note: The 28nm ARM A72 chip performs nearly as well as the 14nm Y chip, in early "how many tabs in Chrome can I keep open" kind of rough comparisons.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 80
    Intel have announced that their 8th generation PC line up will be mostly on 14nm:Intel's 8th-gen Core CPUs will again be 14nm - TechSpot
    Intel's 2017 10nm is basically a "paper launch" to save face and look like they are not behind TSMC and Co. It won't be for another year before 10nm yields are at a level where they can use it economically on their high volume products.

2 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 259
    Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    Eventually, Chromebooks will provide the comparisons needed. Samsung is introducing low-end Chromebooks with ARM processors and high-end ones with Intel Y processors with everything else being pretty identical. Interesting to note: The 28nm ARM A72 chip performs nearly as well as the 14nm Y chip, in early "how many tabs in Chrome can I keep open" kind of rough comparisons.
    Or, maybe there is another platform that can provide a real world comparison: Windows 10 for ARM which first announced in the December 2016.

Microsoft-Qualcomm deal finally puts Windows 10 and Win32 apps on ARM devices | PCWorld

My guess is that Qualcomm is the first one but won't be the only one. Although the traditional PC market is declining but there're still a lot of PCs need to be replaced in the coming years and Windows 10 for ARM can provide a large scale of market for ARM's manufacturers.

PC sales in 2016: CHART - Business Insider

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast