You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel in Serious Trouble?

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 255

Intel in Serious Trouble?

It looks like there might be serious trouble on the horizon in Intel either failing or seriously stumbling in their 3dXpoint memory. This has been a costly effort for both Intel and Micron and if it partially or totally fails will have serious ramifications for both. The silence has been deafening in this area with no real clues. The various possibilities are serious design flaws that cannot be easily corrected or manufacturing problems on a similar scale. It is obviously something very serious and being dealt with at the highest levels since so much is as stake for both companies. It already must be a problem, for both product and information have been pushed out into the future with no clues given. This could be temporary and still a huge win for both Intel and Micron or turn into a very expensive disaster. This would be a bigger disaster for Intel than Micron for all the problems they have been having, especially with TSMC literally blowing past them in not only market cap, but technology(and that's only technology we know about or can see). A wall of silence which is the current strategy it seems, is the worst solution for it leaves a cloud of uncertainty, which is the worst possible option of all. Hopefully we will hear shortly from either party and this would be the best way of dealing with any outcome, win, loose or draw. This is just but one of the many serious problems Intel faces.

Addition: When you add in Microsoft using ARM, Nvidia and AMD attacking processors, and other companies attacking their market like piranha, Intel's problems look even more serious for this indicates the successful Andy Grove culture is either gone or severely diminished.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:08 AM. Reason: addition

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 6
    Intel will more on from Washington County and Maricopa County. Intel will be fine. Intel at 10 nm will still have the best architecture and the best technology.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To be clear, I don't know where things stand so I am just speculating. That being said, my guess is that if there are serious issues you will see the first public repositioning from Micron. Sanjay M., as the new CEO, won't hesitate to get ahead of this and reposition Micron, thereby reseting expectations regarding this technology. This may come as soon as this week on their Q3 concall. Micron is expected to beat expectations and guide aggressively for Q4 so slipping in some bad news on XP might be the best possible way to handle it.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    The northwest isn't developing the engineers and talent it should and they may not be getting the support they should in the private and govt sector. I can't recall a single coherent product that came from Oregon's campus at Intel alone. In this era of ecommerce and search engines it's a disaster for the state.

1 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 255
    Portland, thanks for the insight. I believe with all tech advancing so quickly and accelerating, internal training will become a major competitive advantage for those companies that master it. With technology advancing so fast, external education will become less of a factor than companies that have their own human resources development program. I feel the standard college track of developing talent might become obsolete in the not to distant future.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    I think we're already here. The engineering and science education at the university level in oregon is already obsolete.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I think we're already here. The engineering and science education at the university level in oregon is already obsolete.
    I always wondered how engineering and comp sci programs in the PNW were so weak considering all the tech companies not just in Portland but also Seattle.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by count View Post
    I always wondered how engineering and comp sci programs in the PNW were so weak considering all the tech companies not just in Portland but also Seattle.
    It was interesting to see all of the students at #54DAC this year. Very few however were American. Other countries around the world are pushing science much more aggressively. Right now computer science is very hot but that is for application programming (social media). Google is paying CS grads $150k while EEs are closer to $100k here in Silicon Valley. I realize it is a supply and demand issue but without EEs we wouldn't have the need for so many CS grads.

1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Given: 60
    Arthur, would you mind sharing why you think "it is obviously something very serious [with Optane]". You seem to take it as a fact, but I have heard nothing about it so far and I do not know what I am missing (your other post about this topic did not shed any light either).

Yes, the higher-end SKUs (P4800X) are almost impossible to find in the channel, but if they are so good then the hyperscalers could be taking in as many as Intel can make them. Then, I also hear it is reasonably easy to buy as part of complete systems/servers from the major brands, so it is not as if it had been pulled from the market.

The consumer SKUs I can easily find - but I still would not say they are widely available because many large retailers have it for pre-order only.

I just don't see anything "obvious" here.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by mbello; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:01 PM.

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 47
    David Manners -- who I think coined the term techno-ponzi for PCM -- has written a few articles on 3dXpoint.

Although, I don't think I've ever heard an explanation of the 3dXpoint technology, and Intel claim it's not PCM don't they?

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/mannerisms/memory-mannerisms/3d-xpoint-emerges-2017-03/

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast