You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!




Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Intel CEO List Eyes Outsiders in Break With Tradition

  1. #1
    Admin Daniel Nenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,545
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 2,489

    Intel CEO List Eyes Outsiders in Break With Tradition

    According to Bloomberg:

    Sanjay Jha
    Anand Chandrasekher
    Navin Shenoy
    Renee James

    Intel's had six leaders in 50 Years all from within its own ranks:

    Robert Noyce 1968-75
    Gordon Moore 1975-87
    Andy Grove 1987-98
    Craig Barrett 1998-05
    Paul Otellini 2005-13
    Brian Krzanich 2013-18

    The last two are the only one's without PhDs. In fact, BK has a BS from San Jose State. Otellini has an MBA.

    www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-04/intel-ceo-list-is-said-to-eye-outsiders-in-break-with-tradition

    Intel CEO List Eyes Outsiders in Break With Tradition-sanjay-ja.jpg

    I'm a big Sanjay fan so that would be my choice. Anyone internal to Intel would be more of the same. If only Intel had acquired NVIDIA and Jensen Huang instead of promoting BK like I suggested we would not be having this discussion. Intel would also still be the #1 semiconductor company in the world, absolutely.

    2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 09-04-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

  2. #2
    Expert hist78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    628
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 330
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    According to Bloomberg:

    Sanjay Jha
    Anand Chandrasekher
    Navin Shenoy
    Renee James
    Among these four names mentioned, only Sanjay Jha is truly an "outsider". Everyone else is either worked for Intel before or currently on Intel's payroll.

    1 Not allowed!
     

  3. #3
    Influencer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 16
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    According to Bloomberg:

    Sanjay Jha
    Anand Chandrasekher
    Navin Shenoy
    Renee James

    .
    Is there any reason why you left out Murthy Renduchintala? I thought he was the front runner.

    Personally, seeing how Sanjay turned around GF, and given all the problem Intel has with its Fab, I think he should be the ideal candidate as well.

    My abosolute favourite would be Pat Gelsinger, but he has publicly declined already.

    0 Not allowed!
     

  4. #4
    Admin Daniel Nenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,545
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by ksec View Post
    Is there any reason why you left out Murthy Renduchintala? I thought he was the front runner.
    Personally, seeing how Sanjay turned around GF, and given all the problem Intel has with its Fab, I think he should be the ideal candidate as well.
    My abosolute favourite would be Pat Gelsinger, but he has publicly declined already.
    No, that was my mistake. From what I have heard Murthy is not the front runner though. Remember when he joined Intel with all of the hoopla? The leaked memo? He has been in the background for a while now which is not a good sign.

    My guess is that Intel will go the safe route and promote from within. If they do I would not expect anything great just more of the same. Pat Gelsinger would be an excellent compromise of insider/outsider, maybe Intel can make him an offer he cannot refuse?

    It really is disappointing to me that Intel did not have a candidate ready before firing BK. Just bad management in my opinion. Andy Bryant has got to go!

    1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    7
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    No, that was my mistake. From what I have heard Murthy is not the front runner though. Remember when he joined Intel with all of the hoopla? The leaked memo? He has been in the background for a while now which is not a good sign.

    My guess is that Intel will go the safe route and promote from within. If they do I would not expect anything great just more of the same. Pat Gelsinger would be an excellent compromise of insider/outsider, maybe Intel can make him an offer he cannot refuse?

    It really is disappointing to me that Intel did not have a candidate ready before firing BK. Just bad management in my opinion. Andy Bryant has got to go!
    I totally agree with you on Andy Bryant. I fail to see what the man has done for Intel for ages. But I ask you: What is wrong with Murthy???

    To me the man is an excellent combination of a former outsider (he became to understand INTC's business from different vantage points, and I am sure he was never subject to the NIH Syndrome) AND he has become an almost-insider by now.

    What more can that stupid BOD ask for?

    On top of that, I venture a guess that Murthy was the driving force behind Intel's newly achieved profitabiliy. I am sure the company had needed a lot of pruning and focusing, when Murthy joined them.

    So why should he not be rewarded for all that?

    0 Not allowed!
     

  6. #6
    Admin Daniel Nenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,545
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by ULS2018 View Post
    I totally agree with you on Andy Bryant. I fail to see what the man has done for Intel for ages. But I ask you: What is wrong with Murthy???

    To me the man is an excellent combination of a former outsider (he became to understand INTC's business from different vantage points, and I am sure he was never subject to the NIH Syndrome) AND he has become an almost-insider by now.

    What more can that stupid BOD ask for?

    On top of that, I venture a guess that Murthy was the driving force behind Intel's newly achieved profitabiliy. I am sure the company had needed a lot of pruning and focusing, when Murthy joined them.

    So why should he not be rewarded for all that?
    I agree, but I'm wondering if Intel is looking for a female CEO? Seems to be working well for AMD. Personally I think Sanjay Jha would be a great pick. He thinks outside the box and that is what Intel needs. My bet is an outsider will be the next Intel CEO, any takers?

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 09-24-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0
    I'm not sure Sanjay turned around GF in a positive way. It looks like he was pushed out of GF because of financial issues which is why Tom C had to come in and had to immediately take some very aggressive cost-cutting actions.

    0 Not allowed!
     

  8. #8
    Admin Daniel Nenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,545
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 2,489
    I think Sanjay did a good job for GF as a leader and visionary. He did the IBM acquisition which I thought was quite clever. Scott just posted a blog on GF's Pivot:

    GLOBALFOUNDRIES Pivot Explained

    I'm not sure GF would have ended any other way without a company like Apple behind them (TSMC) or a strong memory market funding their foundry business (Samsung).

    0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4
    According to Fudzilla, Bob Swan, Interim CEO, CFO of Intel secretly wants the permanent CEO seat despite publicly denying it, and that Murthy is another "serious candidate too"

    0 Not allowed!
     

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4
    Rumor has it that the new CEO has been chosen and that it will be announced next week along side their Q3 Results. Murmurings suggest Murthy Renduchintala has won the spot, Murthy isn't quite an Inteller but he's been there for a few years.

    0 Not allowed!
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •