You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel to buy Mobileye for $15B

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    Daniel, i like the eSilicon idea, but i would add that on top they should attack the high NRE problem.

For example, buying eAsic/Baysand(structured mask programmable asic), Zeno semi(2T/1T sram), Maybe someone with multi-beam e-beam litho, and work(i.e. ackuire talent) on the next generation of design tools , something above HDL's. Add the EMIB bridge , some prefabbed dies. And don't say no to making ARM processors. Combined with eSilicon , They may be able to weave a platform that pushes 28nm chips to 14/10nm Intel, or even some new node guys from TSMC etc.

But (a)does that make sense? (b)does that make sense to the stock market ?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    What about NVDA? They claim cars area a software problem while INTC and MBLY are merging for "lower cost and faster integration". Are they doing this because they are behind? Is that what the TSLA move to drop MBLY and adopt NVDA is telling us? Meanwhile INTC needs to keep those fabs full at all costs in order not to fall behind TSM as they seem equal in process to me.

0 Not allowed!

Blogger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Dan, when I did some research on Mobileye a few months back they seemed to be working with many more customers than just BMW.

Per the article I wrote, "Mobileye’s use of IP from Imagination and NetSpeed IP is a valuable feather in the caps of both these IP providers as Mobileye is known to be a pioneer of heterogeneous SoC designs and they know how hard it is to get it right, especially in a coherent environment. Their SoCs are used by a majority of the world’s automakers including Audi, BMW, Fiat, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Nissan, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Volvo and Tesla. Mobileye’s use of these IPs is a testament to the strength of the offerings from Imagination and NetSpeed.".

Perhaps Intel knows more than we think?

Mitch....

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 33
    The lack of GPGPU IP is another weakness in the Mobileye deal that could potentially hurt Intel chances of fully utilizing the acquisition

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    I further reviewed company comments on the matter and NVDA management claims to have with Xavier a 1-chip L4 and several chip (2 maybe) L-5 solution with a ton of working software on top including AI features at every level (perception, decisions, mapping, blah blah blah). Apparently car vendors just call a few APIs and they are done. Meanwhile INTC management shows up with a bag of chips, even with MBLY, with the first integration "years" away. They seem positioned at the very low end of the market, dare I say L2 or L2.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12