You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!




Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Intel to acquire eASIC

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

    Intel to acquire eASIC

    Today Intel announced that they would acquire eASIC to strengthen their broad portfolio of products, they hope to close to the deal in Q3, eASIC will be part of the Programmable Solutions group at Intel.

    SemiWiki had actually done an article on eASIC and Intel's partnership back in 2015 with the title of turns out it was just a 3 year engagement!

    I don't know much about eASIC and how this will benefit Intel so healthy discussion is welcomed!

    0 Not allowed!
     

  2. #2
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    227
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 21
    This acquisition actually fits in well with Intel and kind of makes sense. Anyone know if eASIC is an Intel Foundry customer?

    0 Not allowed!
     

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by count View Post
    This acquisition actually fits in well with Intel and kind of makes sense. Anyone know if eASIC is an Intel Foundry customer?
    I don't believe they are, last products were built on GloFo's 28nm process, i'd imagine Intel would prefer them to move to ICF/In house in the future.

    1 Not allowed!
     

  4. #4
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    227
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayman58 View Post
    I don't believe they are, last products were built on GloFo's 28nm process, i'd imagine Intel would prefer them to move to ICF/In house in the future.
    I think that's likely part of the strategic rationale. And I think it makes sense to integrate with Altera/Intel's Programmable group, even though it's technically not programmable.

    2 Not allowed!
     

  5. #5
    Admin Daniel Nenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,506
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 969
    Given: 2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by count View Post
    I think that's likely part of the strategic rationale. And I think it makes sense to integrate with Altera/Intel's Programmable group, even though it's technically not programmable.
    From what I have learned Intel paid $200M for $50M in revenue. I also heard $150M but either way it is a great exit for eASIC.

    3 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    Daniel, using eAsic's technology on Intel's 14nm/10nm , do you think it would be possible to create a more attractive alternative to 28nm , with reasonable NRE ?

    And how much eAsic's better than it's competitors in the semi-structured field ?

    Do you see this posing a danger to TSMC's "bread and butter" at 28nm?

    0 Not allowed!
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •