You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagination Technologies (or whatever has remained of it) is up for sale. Any takers?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Imagination Technologies (or whatever has remained of it) is up for sale. Any takers?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by een5afr View Post
    This is truly a sad day for IP. No one wants Imagination Technologies? The back story is quite interesting here. Apple tried to acquire Imagination after SoftBank acquired ARM for $32B. Unfortunately Imagination management had too active of an imagination on valuation so Apple not only left the table but left the building completely and started building their own IP. Imagination then went into panic mode and made legal references about protecting their IP (suing Apple). Well that did not go well so they put up the MIPS division for sale and that did not happen so now the whole company is for sale.

The moral of this story clearly is check your ego at the door and do not piss off Apple!

My guess is that either Synopsys or Cadence will buy the assets of Imagination technology then do a sweetheart patent deal with Apple. Because, again, do not piss off Apple.

2 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 293
    View from Reuters: Analysts said potential buyers could include Intel, Qualcomm, Mediatek, CEVA and various entities from China, while Apple itself could be interested. Imagination Tech up for sale after bruising Apple fight
    | Reuters

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Murphy View Post
    View from Reuters: Analysts said potential buyers could include Intel, Qualcomm, Mediatek, CEVA and various entities from China, while Apple itself could be interested. Imagination Tech up for sale after bruising Apple fight
    | Reuters
    How could the so called analysts not mention Synopsys, the #1 IP provider or Cadence? Geezee... no respect I tellz ya.... no respect. CEVA is a distinct possibility, they wanted the MIPS division but Imagination out bid them. I'm just not sure CEVA will want that debt or dilution. My preference would be Cadence, they need the IP boost more than Synopsys.

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    I would rule out Apple from the buyers list ... but Cadence seems to be an interesting addition to the mix!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by een5afr View Post
    I would rule out Apple from the buyers list ... but Cadence seems to be an interesting addition to the mix!
    But, then again, when it comes to Britain these days - anything is possible!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2
    I would think that qualcomm would be very interested so that they could threaten/litigate their patents against apple.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rhueber View Post
    I would think that qualcomm would be very interested so that they could threaten/litigate their patents against apple.
    I also think QCOM would have the most incentive to buy. While I agree it's best to avoid getting into fights with Apple, if you are already in a fight with Apple best to go in as heavily armed as possible.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by count View Post
    I also think QCOM would have the most incentive to buy. While I agree it's best to avoid getting into fights with Apple, if you are already in a fight with Apple best to go in as heavily armed as possible.
    I don't understand! Why should QCOM buy IMGTEC provided they have their own in-house ARM based CPU and Adreno GPU?

Furthermore, Apple still owns 9.5% stake in IMGTEC so they're more likely to veto any such move by QCOM!
    Here's Who Might Buy One of Apple's Chip Suppliers After It Has Lost 70% of Its Value - TheStreet

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Just to throw in some spice into the mix - any ambitious Physics/Game engine development firm (e.g. Epic Megagames - Unreal Engine) may have some interest in PowerVR ray tracing technology if it wishes to have total control over the hardware/software stack!

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast