You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: Dubious Nvidia 7nm rumour

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 106

Dubious Nvidia 7nm rumour

Many websites are reporting a new rumour about Nvidia switching to Samsung for their 7nm node. The original rumour source seems to have been a Japanese site "My Navi News": 2019年はどうなる? PCテクノ*ジートレンド - その1 プ*セス TSMC/Samsung編 (2) Samsung - 7nmの*ーンチパートナーはIBMとNVIDIA | マイナビニュース
    However, if you read the article carefully you notice that the author is talking about Nvidia going to Samsung as if it was a known fact, not as if they were breaking the news. Also, it says that it might be Samsung 8nm, not 7nm. This leads me to believe that the origin of the rumour is actually a Korean report that broke in September last year: Samsung Loses Nvidia’s GPU Foundry Competition to Taiwan’s TSMC - 비즈니스코리아 - BusinessKorea
    That report also is unsure if Nvidia will use 7nm or 8nm. The Korean press has proved to be a very unreliable source for rumours, especially concerning Samsung. They always tend to twist the facts to make Samsung look good.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,210
    Given: 2,606
    I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff.

2 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 106
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nenni View Post
    I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff.
    That is very interesting, thanks for the info.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    That is very interesting, thanks for the info.
    By the way, Mellanox is also a long time TSMC customer so there is great design synergy there. I spoke to a couple of friends who work for Mellanox and they are quite pleased with the acquisition. Nvidia was the internal choice over Intel and Xilinx but of course money was everything. One funny story apparently Xilinx could not go a full sentence without mentioning AI. A bit obsessive, I hope it works out for them.

1 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3
    I read Nvidia was going with Samsung for 7nm. So that's not true?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSeGa View Post
    I read Nvidia was going with Samsung for 7nm. So that's not true?
    I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff or it is a different team.

The TSMC Symposium is next month so we will know more then, absolutely.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff.

https://tgw.onl/bluehost/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/hostgator/

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by sergann; 1 Week Ago at 01:34 PM.