You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DesignCon 2011 Trip Reports!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 2,298

DesignCon: FPGA caveman lag in tools

DesignCon 2011 Trip Reports!-designcon-2011.jpg

This panel interested me for two reasons: (1) I’m a big fan of programmable devices (2) Two of the most successful guys in our industry, Jim Hogan and Vin Ratford, were speaking.

The battle between Altera and Xilinx is really something to watch. Longtime TSMC customer Altera beat Xilinx at the 40nm node, Xilinx switched from UMC to TSMC at 28nm, so the race to 28nm is on! My bet is on Altera since they have the relationship and experience with TSMC. Also, Altera chose 28nm HP and LP, Xilinx chose the middle of the road 28nm HLP and will also start work with Samsung.

My buddy Mark LaPedus was there too. His write up is HERE. You might ask why EETimes did so many articles on DesignCon this year versus 2010? EETimes now owns DesignCon that’s why. Which is a great thing for all! I predict next year more people will attend DesignCon than the Design Automation Conference!

The big news that slipped by Mark: Vin Ratford mentioned that Xilinx just bought emerging EDA company AutoESL. Big because it is an excellent data point for EDA acquisitions, an EDA company acquired by a semiconductor company, and big because the revenue multiple was HUGE! Vin also said there would be more acquisitions, hopefully EDA and IP. Altera will need to follow suit to stay competitive

ASIC design starts are declining, FPGA design starts are increasing, emerging EDA and IP companies need to look seriously at a programmable exit.

D.A.N.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 02-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Thank you guys for this. I hope there are more to come. The press coverage on these events leave something to be desired. We use Xilinx for prototyping. FPGA capacity is growing so we use less parts even though our gates have increased. Speed is pretty good too but our ASICs will never fit. Cost is a factor as well since we ship quite a few parts.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JustDave; 02-11-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    I enjoyed reading them! Please continue to do this for other conferences.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 48

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Came to post these and found you had them; thanks. If people here find these booth-design oriented photos useful, I'll post similar from other events.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 57
    Great photos. Maybe you should make a gallery? I have not attended Designcon for a few years but it looks like it is coming back. I will go next year.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12