You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell Phones Killing Thousands, Opportunity

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 0
    The problem is that tens of thousands of deaths per year on the roads are just accepted as a "fact of life" by most people, and they won't accept any significant impact on their "freedoms" to reduce this, especially in the USA -- look at how long it took to get seatbelts accepted there, long after the rest of the civilised world had concluded they gave a huge reduction in road deaths and injuries.

Do I get to point out that this is pretty much the same as the gun problem in the US, without being jumped on by Second Amendment supporters?

In both cases change won't happen until the majority of people acknowledge that there *is* a problem and agree that some small restriction on their freedom (to kill other people) is needed to solve it. But don't depend on logic and common sense to make this happen, since the word "freedom" is involved in both cases...

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1
    Just take the train, bus, taxi, Uber

Typing this from a train.

0 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 279
    Fast and junk food dwarf all these problems in costs and lives by a significant amount, this comes from an ex junk food junkie. It's insidious since it's slow, this why I suggested in the forums real time monitoring of health/diet/exercise with sensors and apps so these factors don't sneak up on us and we can be made aware in real time the real health cost of our actions. As far as guns, the replacements people come up with if banned will be far worse and untraceable due to new technologies combined with 3D printing, or maybe malicious, dangerous lines of code. Our capabilities are expanding far faster than we can deal with them. The dangers of cell phones are far more numerous than we have even discussed in this post.
    With power/wealth goes responsibility and much of SV has forgotten that.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 10
    I was shocked when I saw that feature on my iPhone for work this week when 11.03 was pushed to it. I have had it standard with Android for several years now.

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by kloty View Post
    Just take the train, bus, taxi, Uber

Typing this from a train.
    And when train, taxi, Uber and bus are also driven by AI not meatbags...?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 70
    Why do the experts studying the possibilities of hazards from exposure to "radiation" from cell phones (1) base their standards on the effects of heating, and then (2) study the effects on the head, considering damage to the brain, when the brain has unusually high blood perfusion which limits the heating? By contrast, sports bras often have pockets holding cell phones against the breast and the breast has much less blood perfusion so it is more readily heated?

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12