You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Using TSM to Justify 1000 Dollar Phone

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 281
    Given: 263

Apple Using TSM to Justify 1000 Dollar Phone

Apple and TSM are making a quantum leap over all other phones by having the latest memory, processor and functionality all in one package to justify the 1000 dollar phone barrier. This is not the phone for everyone, but for those with higher incomes this phone will be an investment in being able to do almost everything with just a phone and do it at an advanced level. Incorporating the latest memory, camera, processor, microphones, speakers all at state of the art level in a near bullet proof package will make the new IPhone a very efficient, complete package on a stable platform with literally a staggering number of uses and this will also drive an accessory market in health, entertainment, augmented reality, measurement and a whole host of endeavors that will make life not only more enjoyable and hassle free, but also more productive. The new iPhone will be an investment in work and living that pays dividends in the form of a more efficient, productive, wide ranging life. Apple with their entire platform is not selling a phone, but a better life and TSM is their key partner in making this happen.

Addition:

This phone could actually become a bargain if it becomes the foundation of personal medical devices and medical tracking, your auto interface, entertainment device, work station, stationary and mobile security device, universal interface for almost everything. With the cost of medical it could become a mobile appointment interface. The AR, high quality cameras and mike combined with serious computing power open whole new platforms that need a greater variety of functions that this platform could offer. To view it as even just a smart phone is a mistake.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 07-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 0
    Yes, a new shiny shiny expensive phone will definitely fix all the things wrong with your life and make you a better person...

6 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    It's a powerful tool that's a gateway to a very powerful platform that offers numerous ways of being augmented by both software and hardware with new platforms being developed at an astonishing rate in how we relate to the world around us and our own bodies. For those that have the skills and motivation to adopt it, the power and versatility is almost limitless and expanding rapidly. For those that choose not to use it in this manner, it's a waste of money. Those that can't see the pnotential choose to be blind or ignorant. Apple is one of the best if not the best at developing intuitive, bug free systems compared to others, by keeping tight reign on the ecosystem and this is what you pay for. It's an individual choice to buy or not buy it and to use it's potential or not. It can either be a good choice or a bad one and only you can make that decision. Apple stores do have some of the best service and can be of help in that department as well as numerous reviews of the products, platforms and attachments that will come out. Like any tool or possession, if one is not going to use it's potential, don't buy it, but for those that really can use its potential,l it could be a raving bargain. Only an open mind can see.

I'm a minimalist and my wife and I have ZTE Promax phones we paid one hundred dollars for. But in the future it looks like we'll be making the switch to Apple products based on a strict ROI (return on investment) philosophy we adhere to.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 07-10-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 12
    Don't know if I'll buy it or not, since I'm pretty happy with my iPhone SE, but I'm interested to see if any of Apple's recent work in AR shows up in this device.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 691
    Given: 1,954
    I would buy an iPhone 8 Pro for $1k if it had a faster SoC and/or Modem. I do most of my work on my Iphone 6s or iPad Pro now so it would be worth it if there was added productivity. I also like the AR stuff that is coming out so it would need to be a nice AR platform.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 07-05-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 405
    Arthur,

Have you ever touched or used a Google Pixel phone?

Some think that it's better than any iPhone. Consumers have so many choices today for a smart phone, so I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone yet I also own AAPL stock to hedge my bets.

Reasons Google Pixel is better than the iPhone - Business Insider

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    Dan, no I haven't. I feel it's more about the platform and how diverse, intuitive and broad it is. A very key factor is how broad and deep is its adoption in the market place, for even the greatest platform if it doesn't have broad and deep adoption is useless. This is a constant race, that requires even incumbents to be on top of their game. Apple so far is the winner and has maintained that position for a number of years. Their efforts in the self driving area are key, for few have the will or resources to offer the complete package. Medical will be more important than self driving as it is becoming one of most peoples largest expenses and growing to the point it exceeds housing in all but the most expensive areas. Apple's partnership with Kaiser medical is key, for they are the largest assembler/accumulator of data in the medical field. Personally, I'm a minimalist and have a ZTE Promax that currently serves my needs. I see my needs might be changing radically in the next year and Apple so far looks like the winner for my next choice at this point in time. I only buy the technology I need at the time, since the shelf life of any tech is getting shorter and shorter. I have a lot of very expensive tech gear I bought for my business that is now near worthless, but it did more than pay for itself, before it became obsolete. I approach everything, especially technology from an ROI point of view. I see exchange programs taking hold as phones from early adopters, are exchanged and people who don't need top tear buy them as part of numerous cell phone plans, just like used cars.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Arthur Hanson; 07-08-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 405
    Arthur,
    The Android platform is bigger in size than iPhone, so you have to at least acknowledge that Apple is not the number one seller of smart phones in the world.

Apple does have higher profit margins, but Samsung sells more phones. In February 2016 the report from Gartner showed that Android had 81.7% market share, while Apple iOS had just a 17.9% share.

99.6 percent of new smartphones run Android or iOS - The Verge

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 0
    Also this is a very US-centric view -- in many or most parts of the world medical costs are not such an obsession as they are in the US, and anyway existing high-end smartphones already do pretty much everything people want or need. It's like the PC market, once quad-core CPUs and enough RAM/SSD/HDD space became ubiquitous and cheap, nobody apart from a few geeks worries about PC specs any more so the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest has largely gone.

Once you can't see the pixels any more, having a higher resolution screen is pointless except for bragging rights -- this applies to HDTV as well as monitors and smartphones, so that reason for upgrading has gone. My five-year-old quad-core SSD PC is still doing what I need it to do and I have no plan to replace it any time soon, the same applies to my one-year-old One+3.

If someone *wants* the latest shiny iPhone (or Galaxy, or...) then nobody's stopping them throwing a pile of money at it; just don't confuse "want" with "need"...

2 Not allowed!

Expert
    Thumbs Up
    When looking at price, one has to consider resale and price decay. A lot of carriers basically have a resale program on refurbished or tested older phones. The true cost is the rate of decay. Even if the phone goes to zero in three years, which it won't, the cost is less than thirty a month. If the phone saves just an hour a month, it has paid for itself for most of us. If it helps improve our health even a negligible amount by being tied into the Apple medical platform, the phone is free. It's all about utilization, platform and increased functionality over the older iPhones and competition. This is not just about the phone, but the Apple ecosystem and the increase in functionality over even older iPhones. This is just basic economics.

1 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast