You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread: ANSYS Acquires CLKDA!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 1,802

ANSYS Acquires CLKDA!

The EDA world gets even smaller today with the acquisition of CLKDA. The CLK are the founders initials by the way, the DA is design automation. The CEO is Isadore Katz (the K). Founded in 2005, backed by Atlas Ventures and Morgenthaler, they are headquartered in Littleton, MA just outside Boston. The purchase price will probably not be disclosed but from what I have heard it was between $5-6M.

ANSYS Acquires CLKDA!-clkbanner2-jpg

We did a history of blog two years ago in case you are interested:

A Brief History of CLKDA: Every Picosecond Counts Below 28nm

CLKDA raised about $10M but has had a difficult time scaling their business. From what I have heard their revenue was less than $2M last year and they were out of cash.

To me this was a strategic acquisition for ANSYS. Not only do they get some nice technology but they get a very experienced group of 10 digital design people that can be leveraged.

About CLK Design Automation
    CLK Design Automation is the market and technology leader in timing variation analysis and high accuracy timing solutions for nanometer semiconductor designs. FX is the first transistor model and simulator specifically engineered for digital variance and delay analysis. FX is in production at the most advanced IC geometries at 20nm, 16nm, 14nm, and 10nm with all of the leading foundries.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Daniel Nenni; 03-17-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 285
    Nice! CLKDA has great technology - I have blogged their FX capabilities a couple of times. Interesting but not immediately obvious fit with Ansys. Perhaps more capability around power integrity, adding signal integrity (??), maybe power estimation for hard IP? Either way, I anticipate something good coming out of a combination of two strong technologies.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 26
    Yogesh Chaudhary
    It's a very cheep buy for ANSYS...
    It looks like the same story that happened with Pebbles acquired by Fitbit!!!
    Pebbles was also running short of funds and the amount on which they got sold barely covered their debts..... Moreover Pebbles was far better in the technologies they posses!!!

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Yes, 3x revenue is a good deal considering the technology and people that came with it. Also, ANSYS has a very good relationship with TSMC so that will help CLKDA quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkedIn View Post
    Yogesh Chaudhary
    It's a very cheep buy for ANSYS...
    It looks like the same story that happened with Pebbles acquired by Fitbit!!!
    Pebbles was also running short of funds and the amount on which they got sold barely covered their debts..... Moreover Pebbles was far better in the technologies they posses!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Now available in print or Kindle: "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Good deal for ANSYS, but not a very good deal for CLKDA's original investors. Purchase price ($5-6 million) is half their previously raised capital (~$10 million).

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodesNathan View Post
    Good deal for ANSYS, but not a very good deal for CLKDA's original investors. Purchase price ($5-6 million) is half their previously raised capital (~$10 million).
    True but it is very good news for the employees. I would bet that the CAP table was in their favor since the VC's probably left years ago.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0
    I would like to know more about VCs who forgo their preferred stocks and let employees enjoy financial benefits when a company they funded is sold for less than what was invested into it.
    Anybody seen them?

0 Not allowed!