You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD 2017 Financial Analyst Day Discussion

Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2
    Thanks. What happens with CPUs where I assume a Ryzen 5 is just a die that
    will not pass the highest clock frequency tests? Also what happens with die's
    that are not totally functional so they need to be sorted for different products.
    I am just asking how things work in general. In the old days I wrote system go/nogo
    tests. Method was to put the IC in a system and try it. That has changed now right?

0 Not allowed!

Top Influencer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 36
    Quote Originally Posted by smeyer0028 View Post
    Thanks. What happens with CPUs where I assume a Ryzen 5 is just a die that
    will not pass the highest clock frequency tests? Also what happens with die's
    that are not totally functional so they need to be sorted for different products.
    I am just asking how things work in general. In the old days I wrote system go/nogo
    tests. Method was to put the IC in a system and try it. That has changed now right?
    Ryzen 5 and 7 are indeed the same chip. Every die has 8 physical cores (separated in two blocks, so a 4+4) and 16MB L3 Cache, also configured in a 2x 8MB. A prime die makes a Ryzen 7 CPU (1800X, 1700X and 1700), while a defective die, where 1 to 4 cores are not fully functional, makes a Ryzen 5 CPU (either a 6 or a 4 cores). In case of exceptional high prime yield, AMD could also decide to deactivate some good cores on purpose, in order to feed the Ryzen 5 CPU high demand. Voltage and leakage current, should instead be the way to separate the CPU by frequency range offerings.

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12