You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: ? on 3D Xpoint vs other RRAM memory

  1. #11
    msporer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chen View Post
    The repeated crosspoint patterning should be shunned here
    Please explain what you mean. All memories are repeated patterning, why is crosspoint worse?

    Isn't a single layer of crosspoint a 4f2 cell? so contributes an advantage over 6f2 DRAM array?

    0 Not allowed!
     

  2. #12
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 108
    Quote Originally Posted by msporer View Post
    Please explain what you mean. All memories are repeated patterning, why is crosspoint worse?

    Isn't a single layer of crosspoint a 4f2 cell? so contributes an advantage over 6f2 DRAM array?
    For 3d stacked crosspoint patterning, you repeat patterning costs Nx for Nx density, so the cost/bit is not reduced.

    0 Not allowed!
     

  3. #13
    msporer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chen View Post
    For 3d stacked crosspoint patterning, you repeat patterning costs Nx for Nx density, so the cost/bit is not reduced.
    but aren't the alternatives that don't suffer from this constraint hampered by lack of bit level/byte level addressability? and therefore not a SCM candidate? What are the other options?

    0 Not allowed!
     

  4. #14
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 108
    Quote Originally Posted by msporer View Post
    but aren't the alternatives that don't suffer from this constraint hampered by lack of bit level/byte level addressability? and therefore not a SCM candidate? What are the other options?
    The 2D crosspoint is still attractive. Although not as scalable as 3D NAND, it offers the opportunity to avoid periphery area outside the array. Actually the periphery area grows as a function of number of vertical layers. If there is low area efficiency of the array, then Gb/mm2 would saturate. If the periphery dominates cost AND there is good area efficiency, then there is some room to stack 2D crosspoint into 3D before the periphery area exceeds the array area. On the other hand, with the periphery being mature technology and the layer-stacking technology/materials being new, it is probably difficult to readily achieve cost reduction even with good area efficiency, until the materials mature.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fred Chen; 03-19-2017 at 09:00 PM.
     

  5. #15
    Blogger Daniel Payne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tualatin, OR
    Posts
    3,078
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 407
    Two years after first announcing 3D Xpoint, Intel finally has a product using this technology, so let's see if the industry drives high volumes or not:

    Intel’s first Optane SSD: 375GB that you can also use as RAM | Ars Technica

    0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com
    503.806.1662

  6. #16
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 108
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Payne View Post
    Two years after first announcing 3D Xpoint, Intel finally has a product using this technology, so let's see if the industry drives high volumes or not:

    Intel’s first Optane SSD: 375GB that you can also use as RAM | Ars Technica
    If I read it correctly, Optane is volatile so it can't be used as storage? Then why even have the SSD? Hard to believe it has the endurance let alone speed of volatile RAM, which should not be microsecond range.

    0 Not allowed!
     

  7. #17
    Blogger Daniel Payne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tualatin, OR
    Posts
    3,078
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 407
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chen View Post
    If I read it correctly, Optane is volatile so it can't be used as storage? Then why even have the SSD? Hard to believe it has the endurance let alone speed of volatile RAM, which should not be microsecond range.
    Fred,

    From the article:

    "3D XPoint is a new kind of persistent solid state memory devised by Intel and Micron."

    0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Payne, EDA Consultant
    www.MarketingEDA.com
    503.806.1662

  8. #18
    Top Influencer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 108
    Samsung is touting its Z-SSD, directed against 3D Xpoint. It would be higher capacity and likely better retention, while probably not losing badly in other areas. It is said to be based on its highly successful 3D-NAND technology.

    Samsung's Z-SSD Found Packing An 800GB Capacity Using The Mysterious Z-NAND Storage Tech | Digital Trends

    A partial de-cloaking of Samsung's mystery Z-SSD • The Register

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fred Chen; 03-20-2017 at 07:40 AM.
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •