You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Experts (Front Page) RSS Feed

by Published on 02-12-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: An FPGA Design Flow with Aldec Tools-broadcom-qualcomm.jpg

The war of words continues between Broadcom and Qualcomm and the stock analysts still seem to be split on the merger. Please note that Broadcom is proposing to merge with Qualcomm instead of a tender offer which is what Qualcomm has proposed for the acquisition on NXP. Same result but two very different approaches. Another ...
    by Published on 02-11-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Phablet, e-reader, Nexus-quantum-computers-may-more-imminent-threat-than-ai.jpg

Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking and others have been warning about runway artificial intelligence, but there may be a more imminent threat: quantum computing. It could pose a greater burden on businesses than the Y2K computer bug did toward the end of the ’90s.

Quantum computers are straight ...
    by Published on 02-09-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    Article: A Comparison of SemiWiki and DeepChip-55dac-silicon-art-show.jpg

This year the 55th annual Design Automation Conference is in San Francisco and the Silicon and Technology Art Show, one of my favorite DAC events, is back! Favorite because it's something my beautiful wife and I can share. She is very artistic and has an eye for colors and I actually know what the art is so we make a ...
    by Published on 02-05-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    Article: The Semiconductor Landscape - II-compaction.jpg

I am very sorry but I have to break the flow of sharing initiatives, to reiterate the reason for these articles and maybe amplify the message these articles should promote.

I got a few inquiries from LinkedIn connections, who read the previous articles, with a very interesting point of view. This proves that after 5 articles ...
    by Published on 02-04-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    Which way the semiconductor industry is going?-figure-1.jpg

I enjoyed reading Eric Esteve’s article “French Tech at CES, 2nd country after USA with 274 Start-Up at Eureka Park!” It brought back happy memories of my time at EVE until Synopsys purchased it in 2012. Here is another intriguing story by a French startup named VSORA and ...
    by Published on 02-04-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Intel's New Tablet Strategy Brings Ivy Bridge to the Forefront-future-education-virtual.jpg

Massive open online courses (MOOCs) were supposed to bring a revolution in education. But they haven’t lived up to expectations. We have been putting educators in front of cameras and shooting video — just as the first TV shows did with radio stars, microphone in hand. This is not ...
    by Published on 01-29-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. SEMI,
    4. Events
    Article: A Comparison of SemiWiki and DeepChip-ihs-semiconductor-growth-2016-2017.jpg

One of the other blog worthy analyst presentations at ISS 2018 was by Len Jelinek of IHS. Len is my kind of analyst, he spent 28 years in the semiconductor industry before going to the dark side so he knows what he is talking about. Len’s presentation on Global Semiconductor Market Trends is action packed so I will be doing ...
    by Published on 01-28-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    EE Times story labeling everything solid state as quantum is questionable-what-gm-can-learn-tesla-min.jpg

General Motors has had wireless connections to its cars for more than 21 years, thanks to Project Beacon, better known as OnStar, now operated as Global Connected Consumer Experience. OnStar has likely saved hundreds of lives, if not thousands, by summoning emergency responders to the scenes of crashes where airbags deployed.

To this day, ...
    by Published on 01-25-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Events
    Article: A Brief History of Synopsys-dac55_logo_tagline_black.jpg

DAC 2018 will take place in San Francisco in June (24 to 28) and you have a fantastic opportunity to present a paper in the IP track! In fact, the deadline has been extended to January 30th to submit your proposal.

Let’s make it clear: you are not expected to send the completed paper by this date, just the following:

• The title of the presentation
    • Abstract of 100 words
    • Category (a list is provided
    by Published on 01-22-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. IoT Internet of Things,
    3. Security
    Article: Apply within: four embedded instrumentation approaches-171115eedn-st-_stm32l4_mcu_series_image_1.jpg

Spoiler alert, the answer is none!

Let me take you back to the beginning to explain that answer.

For the sake of this discussion, I will reduce a complex IoT solution to three fundamental blocks:

• IoT node
    • IoT Gateway
    • IoT Server

The IoT node is a sensor that converts analog, physical world context into digital data. The node has to have a processor to run an IoT protocol stack and a radio to connect to the network. The technology ...

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8