You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Expert Forum RSS Feed

by Published on 10-23-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: Mentor Snags Two Awards at DesignCon-us-trade-war.jpg

When Western companies moved manufacturing to China, it was all about minimizing costs. China was a developing country with labor costs among the lowest in the world. It also offered massive subsidies and readily turned a blind eye to labor abuse and environmental degradation.

Today, China is ...
    by Published on 10-19-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -hogan-pss-paper-figure-1.jpg

My usual practice when investing is to look at startup companies and try to understand if the market they are looking to serve has a significant opportunity for a new and disruptive technology. This piece compiles the ideas that I used to form an investment thesis in Portable Stimulus. Once collected, I often share ideas to get feedback. Please feel free to offer up suggestions and critique. Thanks - Jim
    by Published on 10-19-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    -musk-magician-data-monetizer.jpg

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk pulled a rabbit out of his hat last month making thousands of cars vanish and converting reports of production and delivery hell into market leadership for premium sedan deliveries. Following SEC legal action and a podcast where he ...
    by Published on 10-09-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Tackling large-scale SoC and FPGA prototyping debug challenges-hack-back-consequences.jpg

Potential for Hack-Back Legislation. Government officials and experts are weighing in on the concept of ‘hacking back’, the practice of potentially allowing U.S. companies to track down cyber attackers and retaliate.

Former head of the CIA and NSA outlined his thoughts to the Fifth Domain on the Hack Back issue currently being debated by Congress. ...
    by Published on 10-04-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Tackling large-scale SoC and FPGA prototyping debug challenges-ip-security-min.jpeg

I recently learned that Accellera has formed an IP security working group. My first reaction was “Great, we really need that!”. My second reaction was “But I have so many questions.” Security in the systems world is ...
    by Published on 10-03-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: How GLOBALFOUNDRIES is Differentiating in 2013-how-technology-hacking-love.jpg

Go into any bar in New York City or San Francisco (or increasingly Mumbai and Sydney) popular with the younger crowd and you will find a curious transformation. The majority of the patrons spend at least as much time checking their phones as they do checking out potential mates or talking to people they are ...
    by Published on 10-03-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Global Semiconductor Alliance,
    4. Events
    Article: Double Patterning for IC Design, Extraction and Signoff-wally-rhines-ai.jpg

Last month I attended the 2018 U.S. Executive Forum where Wally Rhines was one of the keynotes. I was also lucky enough to have lunch with Wally afterwards and talk about his presentation in more detail and he sent me his slides which are attached to the end of this blog.

The nice thing about Wally’s presentations is that they are not company specific while a lot of keynotes are company pitches in ...
    by Published on 09-25-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA
    Article: Apple Makes More on iPhone Than Samsung on Everything-plunify_cloud_icon.jpg

Plunify, powered by machine learning and the cloud, delivers cloud-based solutions and optimization software to enable a better quality of results, higher productivity and better efficiency for design. Plunify is a software company in the Electronic Design Market with a focus on FPGA. It was founded in 2009, has its HQ in Singapore and is a privately funded company focused on applying machine learning algorithms to FPGA timing and space optimization problems to solve design problems and achieve better optimized more efficient designs. Plunify has offices in Singapore, Malaysia, China, and Japan and has a sales representation network covering ...
    by Published on 09-25-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    Article: Mobile SoCs: Two Cores are Better Than Four?-c4m-logo-title-300ppi.jpg

I'm a long time reader of SemiWiki; almost from the start. I've sometimes been a passionate commenter but as some of you may have noticed my activity lately on the forum was lower. One of the reasons is a project I am working on and I ...
    by Published on 09-17-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries,
    4. TSMC,
    5. Samsung Foundry
    Article: Apple Makes More on iPhone Than Samsung on Everything-globalfoundries-umc.jpg

One of the interesting rumors in Taiwan last week was the possibility that UMC and GF will do a deal to merge or UMC will buy some GF fabs. I have talked to quite a few industry experts about it and will talk to more this week at the GSA US Executive Forum (more at the end). The US Executive Forum is what they call a C Level event which means it is invitation only and expensive.

This year’s program looks very good. Notice the heavy AI emphasis, as I have said many times before AI ...

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10