You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 07-10-2015 04:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries
    Article: A Simple, Scalable LDE Optimization Flow for 28/20nm Custom/AMS Design-nyt1-jpg

Everyone is somewhat focused on the march of process nodes. Moore's Law, although I think that with the breach between technology and cost that may be changing. Moore's Law was about the lowest cost way to get a given number of transistors manufactured. But now the lowest cost and the highest density are ...
    by Published on 07-07-2015 11:02 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Who will Apple partner with at 20nm: TSMC, Intel, Both, or Neither?-garyheadshot-1-jpg

I expect most of you have already heard the sad news through other channels: Gary Smith died last Friday, July 3rd, from pneumonia in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I must have first met Gary back in Dataquest days when I was at VLSI Technology. Gartner then acquired ...
    by Published on 07-06-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile
    Intel say fabless model collapsing... really?-st_lga-jpg

During 52nd DAC, there was a special session where a brand new Apple watch was opened and each of its components was shown with a brief description about it. I found this tear down session a great innovative idea coming from DAC organizers; actually two buzzing products, Apple Watch and DJI’s ...
    by Published on 07-05-2015 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile
    Intel say fabless model collapsing... really?-smartphone_trend-jpg

Semiconductor based electronics has continuously improved lives of people through various kinds of technology upgrades in the gadgets for our daily use. Imagine the journey from a mechanical typewriter to a laptop computer connected through a laser printer, transition from black & ...
    by Published on 06-29-2015 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    Intel say fabless model collapsing... really?-mipi-member-since-jpg

The “MIPI Beyond Mobile” paper has been presented during the 52th DAC in San Francisco and I can share the key findings with Semiwiki readers. This paper has been written to synthesize certain results of the “MIPI Ecosystem Survey-2015” and evaluate the impact on the MIPI IP sales in the future. At first the MIPI Ecosystem has really changed between 2012 and 2015. During 2013 and 2014 ...
    by Published on 06-28-2015 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    Intel say fabless model collapsing... really?-figure-1-book-cover-jpg

Now that we all have smartphones you may be interested in how this all came about. There are quite a few books about the smartphone technology and business but one of the first books that emerged after the iPhone era is by SemiWiki blogger and former EETimes Editor Majeed Ahmad:

Smartphone: Mobile Revolution at the Crossroads of Communications,
    by Published on 06-27-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    hi everyone. I need a advice.-ans4-jpg

I’m an An Steegen groupie. Once or twice a year I see a presentation by her and it is a great summary in a ridiculously short period of time of all the potential upcoming semiconductor technologies. Yesterday was my annual fix at the imec Technology Forum (ITF). Today I got to sit down with her at the conference ...
    by Published on 06-26-2015 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    Article: TSMC 28nm Beats Q1 2012 Expectations!-book-cover-final-jpg

As most of you know, Paul McLellan, Beth Martin, and I published a book last year which is a really nice history of the fabless semiconductor ecosystem. Thousands of people have copies, we have received many compliments on it, and we are very proud. As a thank you to all SemiWiki members I would like to offer a free electronic version ...
    by Published on 06-25-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    Intel say fabless model collapsing... really?-imec-jpg

As I said yesterday, I'm at the imec Technology Forum (ITF) in Brussels. So what have I learned from all the people that I've interacted with.

There were two press releases announced at a press conference yesterday. The first was that imec was expanding its relationship ...
    by Published on 06-24-2015 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    Article: Smart mobile SoCs: Texas Instruments-fab_closure-jpg

Electronics is unusually an evergreen industry where companies make profit, yet end-product prices go down significantly after a brief period of price skimming. A product phases out quite fast (in case of smartphones every 1.5 to 2 years), but still yields big bucks for successful companies in its value-chain. ...
    Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast