You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 03-05-2015 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -intel-jpg

Paul McLellan wrote about how he stumbled into blogging and it inspired me to share my story as well. I grew up in Minnesota and attended the U of Minnesota earning a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering so that I could design computer chips. After interviewing in 1978 with HP, IBM, Intel and Motorola I decided to join Intel in Oregon and ...
    by Published on 03-05-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article Preview

I am often asked how I became a blogger (or a journalist if you want to make it sound more professional). I think people assume that I planned it in some way but I never did. Life is what happens while you are making other plans. To see how unlikely it is, you need to know a ...
    by Published on 03-04-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. TSMC
    -nxp_logo-jpg

The proposed merger of NXP and Freescale, which creates a bigger semiconductor outfit, also brings forth some fascinating history bytes from the technology heritage that these two spin-offs carry from their respective corporate parents. In 2006, Philips Electronics sold its chip business division Philips Semiconductors to a consortium of private equity investors. The name NXP ...
    by Published on 03-04-2015 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA
    -syn2-jpg

When hardware designers hear about a new language their heart sinks. We already have Verilog, SystemVerilog and VHDL. And if you go up a level, we have C, C++ and SystemC. Isn't that enough? However, if you tell a software engineer about a new language they are interested, there are hundreds of programming language ...
    by Published on 03-03-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    -new_ip_area-jpg

Which IP which will give substantial return in next 3 – 5 years and where a company will invest as well as how it will differentiate itself from others, ...
    by Published on 03-03-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Services
    -pdf-solutions-logo-jpg

For 20 years PDF Solutions have been working with fabs on yield enhancement. Today, they announced their Exensio Platform for big data manufacturing environments. They haven't really been keeping it a secret and have been talking about it at events since ...
    by Published on 03-02-2015 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -motorola-sps-sale-jpg

When I read the news that NXP was buying Freescale, it felt like a part of me – and a big part of the history of high tech industry in Arizona – died. There was a time not that long ago where Motorola was the biggest employer in this state, way before Freescale and ON Semi separated from the mothership. Somehow, even with moving headquarters to Austin and downsizing and changes in leadership, Freescale still felt like an old friend who lived just down the street. ...
    Published on 03-02-2015 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -jvd-analog-chip-jpg

In a world where Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs) and Application Specific Standard Products (ASSPs) are dominating every conceivable application, greater attention is being applied to their long ...
    by Published on 03-02-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP
    -52dac_logo-png

DAC is coming up. It is already March. If you are in the EDA industry then it is basically three months away, which sounds a lot until you actually have to get everything pulled together so that your booth is ready to ...
    by Published on 03-01-2015 11:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    -interposer-chart-jpg

IEDM 2014 was held in the second week of December 2014 in San Francisco. The excitement is over now and the dust has settled. Last week, at my leisure, ...
    Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast