You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Expert Forum RSS Feed

by Published on 04-19-2019 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Events,
    4. IC Knowledge
    -10960-5-then-miracle-occurs-euv-radiolysis-resist-characterization_pdf_page_03.jpg

At the SPIE Advanced Lithography Conference Imec presented several papers on EUV and Veeco presented about etching for EUV masks. I had the opportunity to see the presentations and speak with some of the authors. In this article I will summarize the key issues around EUV based on this research.

EUV is ramping up into high volume 7nm production at Samsung and TSMC, and Intel plans to introduce EUV with their 7nm process next year. Although EUV is ramping for 7nm there is still a lot of room for improvement in the technology and going forward 5nm and 3nm will introduce additional challenges.
    by Published on 04-19-2019 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. TSMC,
    4. Events
    Article: High and Low: High Level Synthesis and Low Power-2019-q1-quidence.jpg

It's no coincidence that the TSMC Symposium is right after the Q1 earnings call. This will allow TSMC to talk more freely and they certainly will, my opinion. It is a very interesting time in the semiconductor industry and TSMC, being the bellwether, can tell us what will happen the rest of the year and give us some 2020 insights.

TSMC CEO C.C. Wei again led ...
    by Published on 04-18-2019 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Events,
    5. Flex Logix
    Article: Intel and Altera Sign on for 14nm-linley_flexlogix_1.jpg

Dr. Cheng Wang, Co-Founder and SVP Engineering at Flex Logix, presented the second talk in the ‘AI at the Edge’ session, at the just concluded Linley Spring Processor Conference, highlighting the InferX X1 Inference Co-Processor’s high throughout, low cost, and low power. He opened by pointing out that existing inference solutions are not optimized ...
    by Published on 04-18-2019 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ArterisIP,
    4. IoT Internet of Things,
    5. Automotive,
    6. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Intel and Altera Sign on for 14nm-memory-min.jpeg

No, I’m not going to talk about in in-memory-compute architectures. There’s interesting work being done there but here I’m going to talk here about mainstream architectures for memory support in Machine Learning (ML) designs. These are still based on conventional memory ...
    by Published on 04-17-2019 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    Article: Intel and Altera Sign on for 14nm-tech-i-fig-19-dram-roadmap.jpg

On the Sunday evening at IEDM last year, TechInsights held a reception in which Arabinda Das and Jeongdong Choe gave presentations that attracted a roomful of conference attendees.

This is the second part of the review of Jeongdong's talk, we covered NAND flash technology in the last post. Jeongdong is a Senior Technical Fellow at TechInsights, and their subject-matter expert for memory technology. Before joining the company, he worked as a Team Lead in R&D for SK Hynix and Samsung advancing next-generation memory devices, so he knows whereof he speaks.
    by Published on 04-17-2019 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. Automotive,
    5. Security
    -cunningham-min.jpg

If you’re in verification and you don’t know who Paul Cunningham is, this is a guy you need to have on your radar. Paul has risen through the Cadence ranks fast, first in synthesis and now running the verification group, responsible for about a third of Cadence revenue and a hefty percentage of ...
    by Published on 04-16-2019 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. TSMC,
    4. Samsung Foundry,
    5. FinFET
    -tsmc-versus-samsung.jpg

TSMC and Samsung continue to raise the competitive bar for FinFET foundry market share with dueling announcements this week. As I mentioned previously in the blog Semiconductor Foundry Landscape Update 2019, FinFETs are the market to watch with the coming onslaught of 5G and AI chips ...
    by Published on 04-16-2019 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Synopsys,
    4. Mobile,
    5. Automotive,
    6. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: The New "Mobile Foundry" Era: Whose Wheelhouse?-slam-choices.jpg

We are all pretty familiar with augmented reality, where real world images are overlaid with computer generated images, graphics and even audio. Of course, our first exposure to augmented reality might have been images of heads up displays in fighter ...
    by Published on 04-15-2019 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    -tech-i-fig-1.jpg

On the Sunday evening at IEDM last year, TechInsights held a reception in which Arabinda Das and Jeongdong Choe gave presentations that attracted a roomful of conference attendees. Arabinda was first up, giving a talk on the “10-year Journey of Apple’s iPhone and Innovations in Semiconductor Technology”, followed by Jeongdong discussing “Memory Process, Design and Architecture: Today and Tomorrow”.
    by Published on 04-15-2019 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: FinFET Design Challenges at 14nm and 10nm-wally-keynote-speech.jpg

What started as blogs, or vignettes as Wally calls them, posted on SemiWiki is now a free PDF eBook. The journey starts with his school days at Stanford through 20+ years at TI and 24+ years at Mentor Graphics. Wally has traveled millions of miles meeting with every customer imaginable ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7