You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Experts (Front Page) RSS Feed

by Published on 02-16-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. eSilicon,
    4. FinFET,
    5. Artificial Intelligence
    Which is better for a fresh graduate, academia or industry?-deconstructing-deep-learning.jpg

There’s been a lot of discussion of late about deep learning technology and its impact on many markets and products. A lot of the technology under discussion is basically hardware implementations of neural networks, a concept that’s been around for a while. ...
    by Published on 02-16-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Moortec
    how to "Formally" verify arithmetic blocks such as 16 bit+ adders and multipliers-supply-voltage-variation-min.jpg

At Intel back in the late 1970's we wanted to know what process corner each DRAM chip and wafer was trending at so we included a handful of test transistors in the scribe lines between the active die. Having test transistors meant that we could do a quick electrical test at wafer probe time to measure the P and N channel transistor characteristics, providing valuable insight for the specific ...
    by Published on 02-15-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events,
    3. Silvaco,
    4. IoT Internet of Things
    Article: Intel 22nm SoC Process Exposed!-flash-enabled-products-min.jpg

When I started dabbling in hardware again for fun using Arduinos about five years ago, it had been a long time since I had played with microprocessor chips. The epiphany for me was seeing how easy it was to load programs onto the onboard flash on something ...
    by Published on 02-15-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys
    Article: The Semiconductor Landscape - II-soc-performance-verification-automation-min.jpg

Performance verification is among the most challenging of objectives in any SoC verification plan. It’s difficult to start effectively until quite late in the development cycle, at which point you don’t have a lot of time left to develop extensive performance-oriented testbenches. So many teams adapt functional tests to this purpose, typically a less than ...
    by Published on 02-14-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. ANSYS, Inc.,
    4. Cadence,
    5. Solido,
    6. Synopsys,
    7. ARM,
    8. Intel,
    9. Security,
    10. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Phablet, e-reader, Nexus-figure_1-min.jpg

According to the Economist,
    The world’s most valuable resource is no longer oil, but data”.
    Is this the case? Data is the by-product of many aspects of recent technology dynamics and is becoming the currency of today's digital economy. All categories ...
    by Published on 02-14-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. S2C
    Which way the semiconductor industry is going?-fpga-prototyping-socs.jpg

In case you missed it, the FPGA Prototyping for SoCs webinar happened last week. I did the opening ceremonies which I will run through briefly here or you can go straight to the replay HERE.

FPGA prototyping is one of the fastest growing market segments we track on SemiWiki which brings us to the topic ...
    by Published on 02-13-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys,
    4. Events,
    5. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Wafer Costs: Out of Control or Not?-hspice-sig-splash-min.jpg

I attend a lot of events on machine learning and write about it regularly. However, I learned some exciting new information about machine learning in a very surprising place recently. Every year for the last few years I have attended the HSPICE SIG dinner hosted by Synopsys in Santa ...
    by Published on 02-13-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys,
    4. Automotive
    Which way the semiconductor industry is going?-arc-hs-dev-board-min.jpg

When I think of an IP development kit, I imagine software plus a hardware model I can run on a prototyper or, closer to the kits offered by semi companies, software plus a board hosting an FPGA implementation of the IP along with DDR memory, flash and a variety of interfaces. ...
    by Published on 02-12-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    SystemC-AMS 2.0 LRM Release-7-half-track-cell.jpg

At IEDM in December I had a chance to interview Thomas Ernst about the paper "Performance and Design Considerations for Gate-All-around Stacked-NanoWires FETs" by Leti and STMicroelectonics.

Leti published the first stacked nanowire in 2006, it was very new then, now stacked nanowire/nanosheets are starting to show up in commercial roadmaps. IBM working with Samsung and GLOBALFOUNDRIES has published on 5nm nanosheets at VLSIT in 2017 and Samsung has announced a foundry roadmap including 4nm nanosheets ...
    by Published on 02-11-2018 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Phablet, e-reader, Nexus-quantum-computers-may-more-imminent-threat-than-ai.jpg

Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking and others have been warning about runway artificial intelligence, but there may be a more imminent threat: quantum computing. It could pose a greater burden on businesses than the Y2K computer bug did toward the end of the ’90s.

Quantum computers are straight ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7