You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Expert Forum RSS Feed

by Published on 08-15-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Magillem,
    4. ArterisIP
    Article: Mobile SoCs: Two Cores are Better Than Four?-caption1.jpg

Deterministic, yet versatile. Robust and integrated, yet user-friendly and easily customizable. Those are some desirable characteristics of an EDA solution as the boundaries of our design optimization, verification and analysis keep shifting. A left shift driven by a time-to-market schedule compression, while the process and application complexities keep pushing it in the opposite direction. ...
    by Published on 08-15-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Which way the semiconductor industry is going?-silicon-valley-innovation.jpg

Silicon Valley well exemplifies the saying “The more things change, the more they stay the same”. Very little has changed over the past decade, with the Valley still mired in myth and stale stereotype. Ask any older entrepreneurs or women who have tried to get financing; they will tell you of the walls they keep hitting. Speak to VCs, and you will realize that they still consider themselves kings and kingmakers.

With China’s innovation ...
    by Published on 08-14-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. Events
    Article: Mobile SoCs: Two Cores are Better Than Four?-cadence-min.jpg

Create a panel discussion about analog IC design and reliability and my curiosity is instantly piqued, so I attended a luncheon discussion at #55DAC moderated by Steven Lewis of Cadence. The panelists were quite deep in their specialized fields: ...
    by Published on 08-14-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys,
    4. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Double Patterning for IC Design, Extraction and Signoff-platform-architect-ultra-ai-min.jpg

Discussion on machine learning (ML) and hardware design has been picking up significantly in two fascinating areas: how ML can advance hardware design methods and how hardware design methods can advance building ML systems. Here I’ll talk about the latter, particularly about architecting ...
    by Published on 08-13-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. FinFET
    Article: Common Platform Technology Forum February 5th 2013 Live or Online!-caption1.jpg

The Tale of Three Metrics
    Meeting PPA (Performance, Power and Area) target is key to a successful design tapeout. These mainstream QoR (Quality of Results) metrics are rather empirical yet inter-correlated and have been expanded to be linked with other metrics such as yield, cost and reliability. While the recent CPU performance race is less intense as Moore’s Law ...
    by Published on 08-13-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Events,
    4. IC Knowledge
    Article: Common Platform Technology Forum February 5th 2013 Live or Online!-itf-usa-05-greg-mcintyre-euv-stochastics-challenges-solutions_page_12.jpg

At SEMICON West I attended the imec technology forum, multiple Tech Spot presentations and conducted a number of interviews relevant to advanced lithography and EUV. In this article I will summarize what I learned plus make some comments on the outlook for EUV.
    by Published on 08-12-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Article: Mobile SoCs: Two Cores are Better Than Four?-taxi-bots.jpg

From sexual harassment, to surveilling regulators, to Uber drivers and taxi drivers committing suicide (because they can't make a living) the pervasive creepiness of Uber continues to spread while the means of corraling this societal phenomenon creeps steadily forward like ...
    by Published on 08-12-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Article: Mobile SoCs: Two Cores are Better Than Four?-aging-drivers-autonomous-cars.jpg

Florida is poised to surpass California and Arizona as the leader in autonomous driving development thanks to an aggressive legislative agenda that began in 2012 and direct engagement with autonomous car developers. The state has good reasons for fostering automated driving given that it is the second largest state in the U.S. with the third highest number of highway ...
    by Published on 08-10-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Semiconductor Services,
    4. eSilicon,
    5. SiFive,
    6. RISC-V
    Article: Common Platform Technology Forum February 5th 2013 Live or Online!-esilicon-serdes.jpg

While writing "Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors In Our Devices" it was very clear to me that ARM was an IP phenomenon that I did not believe would ever be repeated. Clearly I was wrong as we now have RISC-V with an incredible adoption rate, a full fledged ecosystem, and top tier implementers which ...
    by Published on 08-10-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Wally Rhines
    CES 2013 Trip Reports (Win an iPad Mini!)-ti-dsp-wally-rhines.jpg

This is the tenth in the series of "20 Questions with Wally Rhines"

1978 was a bad year for TI. In April, Intel announced the 8086 followed by disclosures of 16-bit microprocessors from Motorola, the 68000, and Zilog, the Z8000. TI had tried to leapfrog the ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7