You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Expert Forum RSS Feed

by Published on 07-17-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. eSilicon,
    4. Artificial Intelligence
    -efficiency-asic-min.jpg

There is a well-known progression in the efficiency of different platforms for certain targeted applications such as AI, as measured by performance and performance/Watt. The progression is determined by how much of the application can be run with specialized hardware-assist rather than software, ...
    by Published on 07-16-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. Events,
    4. Semiconductor Advisors
    Article: Cadence, Synopsys, and Mentor on FinFETs-0_vlsi_2018_cfet_julien-ryckaert_page_02.jpg

The 2018 VLSI Technology conference was held in Hawaii in June and is one of the premier conferences covering integrated circuit process technology and circuit design. The Complementary FET (CFET) is an emerging option to continue logic scaling into the next decade. At the conference imec, GLOBALFOUNDRIES, Tokyo Electron and Coventor presented “The Complementary FET (CFET) for ...
    by Published on 07-16-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. Events,
    -semicon-west.jpg

The stock market hates uncertainty most of all. In the absence of the known, the market will assume the worst or close to it. Right now there is a lot of uncertainty that continues to have more downside beta than upside beta. Everybody we spoke to at Semicon wakes up in the morning wondering what tweet was sent ...
    by Published on 07-15-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. Events,
    -semicon-2018.jpg

We attended Semicon West Monday and Tuesday, the annual show for the semi equipment industry. Its very clear from discussions with all our sources in the industry that confirm that Samsung has put the brakes on spending on memory and that message was reinforced by declines in their expected profitability due to weaker memory pricing. We maintain that a near ...
    by Published on 07-13-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Wally Rhines
    Article: Is the RTL Design Flow Broken?-texas-instruments-sr-52.jpg

This is the fifth in the series of "20 Questions with Wally Rhines"

From the earliest days of my childhood, I was always trying to find ways to make money – paper routes, lawn mowing, coke sales at football games – I did it all. And, except for a motorcycle ...
    by Published on 07-12-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. FPGA,
    3. Mobile,
    4. IoT Internet of Things,
    5. Automotive,
    6. Achronix
    Article: Battling SoCs: QCOM vs NVDA vs Samsung-speedecore-efpga.jpg

If you think the transition to 5G will be anything like the transitions before it to 3G or 4G, you are in for a big surprise. Not only will the transition take longer than either of the previous transitions, its ...
    by Published on 07-12-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Cadence, Synopsys, and Mentor on FinFETs-deep-learning-jul-2018-min.jpeg

Deep learning (DL) has become the oracle of our age – the universal technology we turn to for answers to almost any hard problem. This is not surprising; its strength in image and speech recognition, language processing and multiple other domains amaze and shock us, to the point that we’re now debating AI singularities. ...
    by Published on 07-11-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. Events
    Article: Fixing Double-patterning Errors at 20nm-dac-2018-jan-25-cadence-2.jpg

I attended on Monday, June 25, DAC’s Opening Day, a Cadence-sponsored Lunch panel. Ann Steffora Mutschler (Semiconductor Engineering) was the Moderator and the Panelists were Jim Hogan (Vista Ventures), David Lacey (HP Enterprise), Shigeo Oshima (Toshiba Memory Corp), Paul Cunningham (Cadence).
    by Published on 07-11-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. Events,
    4. EDA Careers
    Article: Cadence, Synopsys, and Mentor on FinFETs-mark-gilbert.jpg

Welcome to my newly relocated column, I am so excited about my new relationship with Daniel Nenni, and the other esteemed bloggers on SemiWiki. For those who do not know me, I have been a featured columnist on another EDA portal for the past 12-plus years, and in EDA for 20-plus years. ...
    by Published on 07-10-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events,
    4. Intento Design
    Want to learn 20 nm layout techniques!-id-xplore-min.jpg

My IC design career started out with circuit design of DRAMS, so I got to quickly learn all about transistor-level design at the number one IDM in the world, Intel at the time. In the early days, circa 1978 we circuit designers actually had few EDA tools, mostly a SPICE circuit simulator followed by manual extraction, manual netlisting, manual layout, manual DRC, and of course, manual transistor sizing. In 2018 the scene has changed for the ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7