You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 06-25-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor Graphics,
    4. Events
    Article: TSMC OIP Forum 2012 Trip Report!-chuck-wally-54dac-jpg

The Siemens purchase of Mentor last year for a premium $4.5B was a bit of a shock to me as I have stated before. I had an inkling a Mentor acquisition was coming but Siemens was not on my list of suitors. The reviews have been mixed and the ...
    by Published on 06-24-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    -img_3706-1-jpg

This was my 34th DAC, yes 34. It is a shame blogging did not exist back then because I would have liked to have read thoughts from my eager young mind, or maybe not. The first thing that struck me this year is the great content. Before DAC I review the ...
    by Published on 06-23-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Article: Dear Santa, please bring technology that brings us together-ransomware-crushes-company-jpg

A South Korean web hosting company struggles for survival after agreeing to pay a ransomware extortion of $1 million to hackers.

New Record for Ransomware
    Nayana, the South Korean web hosting firm, suffered a ransomware attack that resulted in 153 infected Linux servers. The resulting data that was encrypted by ...
    by Published on 06-23-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Automotive
    Article: How much SRAM proportion could be integrated in SoC at 20 nm and below?-austemper-tool-suite-min-jpg

It takes courage and perhaps even a little insanity to start a new EDA venture these days – unless you have a decently differentiated value proposition in a hot market. One company that caught my eye, Austemper, seems to measure ...
    by Published on 06-22-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: Introduction to FinFET technology Part I-amazon-eating-whole-foods-jpg

I doubt that Google and Microsoft ever worried about the prospect that a book retailer, Amazon, would come to lead one of their highest-growth markets: cloud services. And I doubt that Apple ever feared that Amazon’s Alexa would eat Apple’s Siri for lunch.

For that matter, the taxi industry couldn’t have ...
    by Published on 06-21-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Designing with FinFETs-matrix-min-jpeg

A little self-indulgence for the season, to lighten the relentless diet of DAC updates. I found a recent Wired article based on a TED talk on consciousness. The speaker drew a conclusion that consciousness was not something that could ever be captured in a machine and was a unique ...
    by Published on 06-20-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys
    Article: How accurate are AMS Behavioral Models?-battery-min-jpg

Synopsys PrimeTime PX, popularly known as PT-PX, is widely recognized as the gold standard for power signoff. Calculation is based on a final gate-level netlist reflecting final gate selections and either approximate interconnect parasitics or final ...
    by Published on 06-19-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: "Death of Equities" = A Silicon Valley Revival-ai-end-jobs-jpg

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is advancing so rapidly that even its developers are being caught off guard. Google co-founder Sergey Brin said in Davos, Switzerland, in January that it “touches every single one of our main projects, ranging from search to photos to ads … everything we do … it definitely surprised me, even ...
    by Published on 06-19-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Defacto Technologies
    Article: Designing with FinFETs-deconstructed-architecture-min-jpeg

It is self-evident that large systems of any type would not be possible without hierarchical design. Decomposing a large system objective into subsystems, and subsystems of subsystems, has multiple benefits. Smaller subsystems can be more easily understood and better tested when built, robust ...
    by Published on 06-18-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. IoT Internet of Things
    Article: Power Integrity Challenges for High Speed and High Frequency Designs-iot-transforming-all-industries-jpg

I thought to share with you a tangible view on how IoT is transforming all industries as opposed to discussing yet again the familiar IoT use case:

( a list for those interested, just in case )

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7