You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 08-21-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. FinFET
    Article: Variation-Aware Design: A Hands-on Field Guide-ivmf-jpg

Frequent Semiwiki readers are familiar with the importance of close collaboration between the foundries and EDA tool developers, to provide the crucial features required by new process nodes. Perhaps the best illustration of the significance of this collaboration is the technical evolution of layout parasitic extraction. All signoff-level electrical analysis flows rely upon an accurate (and where appropriate, concise) parasitic model. Increasingly, accurate and fast extraction algorithms need to be integrated with implementation flows ...
    by Published on 08-21-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. ANSYS, Inc.
    Article: Variation-Aware Design: A Hands-on Field Guide-maximizing-coverage-min-jpg

I’ve written before about how Ansys applies big data analytics and elastic compute in support of power integrity and other types of analysis. A good example of the need follows this reasoning: Advanced designs today require advanced semiconductor processes – 16nm and below. Designs at these processes run at low voltages, much closer to threshold voltages than previously. This makes them much more sensitive to local power fluctuations; a nominally safe timing path may fail in practice if temporary local current demand causes a local supply voltage to drop below what is now a much narrower margin.
    by Published on 08-18-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Article: ST Microelectronics: Strategic Options-tesla-radio-jpg

The rumor is spreading far and wide that Tesla Motors' CEO Elon Musk is talking with major record labels about creating a streaming audio service dedicated to Tesla vehicles. The widespread industry reaction is head scratching and eye rolling at what is seen as the latest chapter in the Musk follies – Solar City, Model 3, Autopilot, Gigafactory – but a ...
    by Published on 08-18-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Article: Arteris answer to Sonics: should compare actual NoC (in Silicon proven SoC) performance, instead of potential, unproven NoC performances!-why-i-remain-optimistic-about-tesla-jpg

Tesla’s stock price recently took a hit because of concerns about its delivery capabilities and about increasing competition from carmakers who are switching their product lines to electric. With a market cap still exceeding $50 billion, it can be easy to argue ...
    by Published on 08-17-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. SiFive
    Article: TSMC Financial Update Q4 2012!-sifive-diagram-jpg

Having started my career during the mini computer revolution it has been an incredible journey from using computers that consumed entire rooms - to the desktop - and now we have supercomputers in our pockets. It makes me chuckle when I hear people complaining about their smartphones when they should be jumping up and down saying, “I have a supercomputer I have a supercomputer!” ...
    by Published on 08-17-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. CEVA,
    4. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Variation-Aware Design: A Hands-on Field Guide-smart-speaker-min-jpeg

There are many “next big thing” possibilities these days in tech but mostly behind the scenes; few are front and center for us as consumers. That is until smart speakers started taking off, led by Amazon Echo/Dot and Google Home. The intriguing thing about this technology is ...
    by Published on 08-16-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. IoT Internet of Things,
    3. Artificial Intelligence
    -iot-challenges-five-jpg

The Internet of Things (IoT) is an ecosystem of ever-increasing complexity; it’s the next wave of innovation that will humanize every object in our life. IoT is bringing more and more devices (things) into the digital fold every day, which will likely make IoT a multi-trillion dollars’ industry in the near future. To understand the scale of interest in the internet of things (IoT) just check how many conferences, articles, and studies conducted about IoT recently, this interest has hit fever pitch point ...
    by Published on 08-16-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Solido,
    4. FinFET,
    5. Artificial Intelligence
    Article: Challenges of Implementing LTE-machine-learning-jpg

Traditionally, EDA has been a brute force methodology where we buy more software licenses and more CPUs and keep running endless jobs to keep up with the increasing design and process complexities. SPICE simulation for example; when I meet chip designers (which I do quite frequently) I ask them how many simulations they do for a given task. The answer is always, “It depends on how many licenses and ...
    by Published on 08-15-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Sidense,
    4. IoT Internet of Things
    New here, needs a mentor!-using-inertial-sensors-sensor-fusion-enhance-capabilities-embedded-vision-systems-jpg

How many sensors do you think you own? Let’s start with your thermostat. It’s simple, right? You might guess one or two, and if you owned a 2nd generation Nest you’d be wrong. It comes with a light sensor, heat sensor (in addition to temp), microphone, carbon monoxide sensor, smoke ...
    by Published on 08-15-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys
    New here, needs a mentor!-gpu-min-png

FPGA-based prototyping has provided a major advance in verification and validation for complex hardware/software systems but even its most fervent proponents would admit that setup is not exactly push-button. It’s not uncommon to hear of weeks to setup a prototype or of the prototype ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7