You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 07-26-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Save 15% on EDA tools for AMS design by December 31st-connected-car-data-access-battleground-jpg

The big news over the weekend was accusations flying in Europe over German car company anti-competitive collusion. While it’s true that European companies of all sorts are able and inclined to legally share information in a manner that is foreign to U.S.-based companies, proving anti-competitive activity will be a high bar for German authorities to clear. One also has to wonder at the motivation for German regulators to blow ...
    by Published on 07-26-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Semitracks
    Article: Sequential Power Optimization-chris-2015-jpg

In looking at the SemiWiki analytics over the last six years it is clear that the average age of our readers is trending down. (Yes, Google knows how old we are). The 25-35 age group now represents our largest readership and that is supported ...
    by Published on 07-25-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor Graphics,
    4. Events
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-emulation-min-jpg

The analysts at Gary Smith EDA produce an annual What To See List for DAC and I quickly noticed that all three major EDA vendors were included on the list for the specific category of emulation. The big problem that emulation addresses is the ability to run in hardware an early version of your SoC so that software developers can get access and run lots of code or boot an OS, plus the hardware team can more quickly verify and debug the performance of their system to see that it ...
    by Published on 07-25-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-virtual-bridge-adapter-min-jpg

The defining characteristic of In-Circuit-Emulation (ICE) has been that the emulator is connected to real circuitry – a storage device perhaps, and PCIe or Ethernet interfaces. The advantage is that you can test your emulated model against real traffic ...
    by Published on 07-24-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Sidense,
    4. Automotive
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-amazon-prime-air_private-trial_ground-high-res-copy-min-jpg

I’d wager that if I mention autonomous vehicles, the first thing that you would think of would be autonomous cars. The truth is that we will see many other kinds autonomous vehicles in the years ahead. Their applications will range from package delivery to saving lives on the ...
    by Published on 07-24-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events,
    4. Silvaco
    Article: How accurate are AMS Behavioral Models?-silvacosurge-jpg

Founded in 1984, Silvaco is now the largest privately held EDA company with a rich history including a recent transformation that is worth a blog if not a book. Coincidently, I started my career in Silicon Valley in 1984 and have had many dealings with Silvaco over the years including a personal relationship with Silvaco founder Ivan ...
    by Published on 07-22-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. ANSYS, Inc.
    Article: Anyone Can Build a Phone-pdno-webinar-min-jpg

On the off-chance you missed my previous pieces on this topic, at these dimensions conventional margin-based analysis becomes unreasonably pessimistic and it is necessary to analyze multiple dimensions together. People who build aircraft engines, ...
    by Published on 07-22-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Artificial Intelligence
    TowerJazz Technical Global Symposium Japan-does-elon-musk-hate-artificial-intelligence-jpg

Elon Musk, the tech billionaire and CEO of Tesla, was quoted as saying Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the “Greatest Risk We Face as a Civilization”. He recently met with the National Governor’s Association and advocated for government involvement and regulations. This seems to be a far ...
    by Published on 07-21-2017 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries,
    4. STMicroelectronics,
    5. Samsung Foundry,
    6. FD-SOI,
    7. FinFET
    Article: How accurate are AMS Behavioral Models?-fdsoi-infrastructure-rev-2-jpg

At Semicon West last week I attended presentations by Soitec and CEA Leti, and had breakfast with CEA Leti CEO Marie Semeria, key members of the Fully Depleted Silicon On Insulator (FDSOI) ecosystem. I have also seen some comments in the SemiWiki forum lately that make me believe there is some confusion on the roles of different companies in the FDSOI ecosystem. In this article, I will review the key players and their roles and then discuss the ...
    by Published on 07-21-2017 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. Semiconductor Services,
    4. ARM,
    5. IoT Internet of Things,
    6. Open-Silicon
    Article: Will Andy Grove Save Intel By Recruiting Jen Hsun Huang?-arm-design-start-jpg

There are two interesting transformations that are currently taking place inside the semiconductor industry: First, systems companies (not chip companies) are now driving the semiconductor industry. Second, IoT focused chips are accelerating design starts. The result is what I would call ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7