You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 02-20-2017 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor Graphics,
    4. Semiconductor Events
    Article: Beneath the Surface lies the first real test-2017_dvconus_logo_web-sm-min-png

You’d expect Mentor to be covering a lot of bases at DVCon and you wouldn’t be wrong. They’re hosting tutorials, a lunch, papers, posters, there's a panel and of course they’ll be on the exhibit floor. I’ll start with an important tutorial that you really should attend, ...
    by Published on 02-20-2017 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cliosoft
    Using Mentor EDA tools for IC Design? New Foundry site.-srinath-anantharaman-min-jpg

It will soon be 20 years since ClioSoft started its journey of selling design management software for the semiconductor industry. It was a slow start considering that designs were relatively small and only digital front-end designers had begun to realize the importance of version control and design management. With open source ...
    by Published on 02-19-2017 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Article: Apple and Samsung Take All the Profit-adaptation-crisis-will-security-save-technology-jpg

The technology landscape is rapidly changing how we interact and live in our world. The variety of Internet of Things is huge and growing at a phenomenal pace. Every kind of device imaginable is becoming ‘smart’ and connected. Entertainment gadgets, industrial sensors, medical devices, household ...
    by Published on 02-19-2017 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Article: Power, Predictions and Pills: Jonathan Koomey, ARM TechCon-back-future-jpg

It’s been 32 years since the successful sci-fi comedy, Back to the Future, saw 17-year old Marty McFly – played by Michael J. Fox - accidentally travel 30 years back in time to 1955. The film was a box-office smash, as audiences worldwide delighted in McFly’s antics, only to ...
    by Published on 02-17-2017 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries
    Article: Beneath the Surface lies the first real test-300mm-jpg

China buys more than half of the semiconductors manufactured in the world and yet only produces less the 10% of their own demand. Recently there have been a lot of announcements out of China about large scale investments in semiconductor manufacturing. The Chinese government for example ...
    by Published on 02-17-2017 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor Graphics
    Article: Apple v. Samsung: Mixed Phone Marriages End in Divorce?-veloce-strato_graphic-1-min-jpg

EDA has always been a fiercely competitive market, no more so than in emulation where the clash of claims and counter-claims can leave those of us on the sidelines wondering who’s really on top. Sales are the obvious indicator but leadership there flips back and forth ...
    by Published on 02-16-2017 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Mentor Graphics,
    5. Semiconductor Events,
    6. IoT Internet of Things,
    7. Open-Silicon
    Article: Mixed-Signal Methodology Guide-iot-blocks-min-jpg

I often read about the large number of expected IoT design starts around the world, so I started to think about what the barriers are for launching this industry in order to meet the projections. One of my favorite IoT devices is the Garmin Edge 820, a computer for cyclists that has sensors for speed, cadence, power, heart rate, altitude and temperature. The Edge 820 also communicates with Bluetooth and ANT+ wireless protocols, and has GPS to track each ride. At the recent ARM TechCon event there was a panel session on this topic of IoT design ...
    by Published on 02-16-2017 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Aldec
    Article: Beneath the Surface lies the first real test-alint_pro_graphic-min-jpg

If there’s anyone out there who still doesn’t accept the importance of static RTL verification in the arsenal of functional verification methods, I haven’t met any recently. That wasn’t the case in my early days in this field. Back then I grew used to hearing “I don’t make mistakes ...
    by Published on 02-15-2017 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys
    Article: Improving FPGA Prototype Debugging-hspice-sig-2017-min-jpg

The world is a risky place, according to Scott Wedge, Principal R&D Engineer at Synopsys, who presented at the Synopsys HSPICE SIG on Feb 2nd in Santa Clara. Indeed, the world circuit designers face can be uncertain. Dealing with risk and departure from ideal was a main theme in the fascinating talks at this dinner event, which is held every ...
    by Published on 02-15-2017 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. FPGA,
    3. Intel,
    4. Xilinx
    The International Conference on Engineering of Reconfigurable Systems and Algorithms-altera-versus-xilinx-jpg

I truly miss the Xilinx versus Altera war of words (competition at its finest) and competition is what makes the fabless semiconductor ecosystem truly great, absolutely. So with great disappointment I read the Intel Analyst Day transcript published by Bloomberg last week. It is attached at the bottom in case you are interested but ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7